Frosty got a Marlin Model 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by frosty, Dec 16, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I will post a pic as soon as I get home.

This is my first semiauto .22lr rifle I have ever owned. Cost me $98.00 out the door brand new in the box. I looked at the Ruger 10/22. It is a nice gun but the idea of a magazine just did not set well with me. I am a follower of the tube feed bunch. In short I like tube feeds. I have shot a Ruger 10/22 and it was nice...........sort of. No offense to those owners of Ruger 10/22's.

The Marlin gets the nod because it is light, thin, and looks more like a rifle to me. It eats every type of .22lr ammo I have put in it. It is very accurate. I intend to put a scope on it. I know some people walk on the model 60 for whatever reason. I like it though.

The tube holds 15 .22lr's when loaded up with Remington golden bullets (bulk pack) from the local X-mart. The Ruger on the other hand only holds 10 in its rotary magazine. Yes, I know the Ruger can have an after market magazine that will hold up to 25 .22lr's. I can reload my tube feed faster than I could ever load that deep magazine. Plus save my thumbs in the process.

Anybody else have one or had one of these little dandy rifles? :)
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

We, including the kids, have had a Model 60 ever since they were originally released in 1960, They are fine little guns.

SoMo has a Glenfield, which is the same thing, and it is a honey, too.

You can't go wrong with your choice!!!
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Yep, I love my little Glenfield. My tube holds 18 rounds, so I'm three ahead of everyone else! ;) :D
  4. pickenup

pickenup New Member

I have had both the Glenfield and the Marlins.
    I like them, they are accurate enough for me.
    Thought I would change to the 10-22....Phooey.
    I'm going back to the 60.
    Now, if I can find one at the same price you did.
    Hmmmmmmmmm.............
  5. frosty

frosty New Member

Our local Academy sporting goods store had them on sale. Several other makes of rifles were listed. I noticed the Marlin because I have been looking for an addition to my .22 rifle collection. I have been looking for a rifle in each type of action. What I mean is pump, bolt, lever, and semiauto. As to how the shells are fed into the chamber I only want tube feed. I guess I am being a little stubborn by only looking at tube feeds. I just know they will work more often than a magazine feed type in semiauto.

Any suggestions as to a lever action? Remember, tube feed only. :)
  6. Marlin

Hands Down - -

Get the Marlin 39A. It is higher than others, also better comparitively.

Attached Files:

7. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

Ya know?,Of all the .22's I've had/have,I've never owned a mod 60.Why?Beats the hell out'a me.I know they're as good or better than anything else in their price range.

Now see what ya done Frosty?Gun Show this weekend in Austin.Guess I'll have'ta try to find one at a decent price.(Gun show/decent price,yeah right.)

Anyway,Frosty,where ya live?Anywhere near Austin?

BW
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Frosty be WAY south of Austin! :D :D :D
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I had my Grand Dad's old mod 60 and passed it on to my Son. It still gets shot on a regular basis. Good gun and he shoots it more often than the 77/22 I had custom built for him a couple of years ago.
  10. frosty

frosty New Member

Bobby,
    I live in Edinburg, Texas. We are talking deep south texas. I am 25 miles from the border of Mexico. Like Plano said WAY south of Austin! :) I like all of my .22's right down to the smith and wesson airweight 8 shot revolver. That little pistola was expensive, but worth every penny. It is the only revolver my wife is able to use in a double action pull with one hand. Yes, my wife is tiny........86lbs total.

Marlin,
    A model 39A is exactly what I am looking for. ;) I believe a buddy of mine has two of them. I will try to get a chance to shoot one. I am sure I will like it. Just by picture you posted that rifle has graceful lines. :) It looks alot like my Winchester in .30-30.
  11. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

mine hold 18 as well, fun lil gun when it werks right, mine is going to be torn down this weekend and cleaned up...its sorta a jam-a-matic
  12. Marlin

Mine has been shot so much that the action just sort of glides through to the next shot. My original Model 39 that was lost in the break-in many years ago worked like a streak of greased lightening. You can never go wrong with one. You would never regret getting it.

I also like the Model 60 very much as a "fun" gun. I gave mine to alaflyguy when I moved to Mississippi. SoMo has a glenfield 60 that is about as honey a repeating weapon as you'd want other than the 39A.
  13. lead

lead Active Member

Marlin model 60's are jewels. Alot of people look down their nose at them because they're so cheap and there are so many of them. But if you want a reliable, accurate, fun 22 it can't be beat.
    This is one gun I would take to a shop and pay to have cleaned though. Of course, I'm not a great mechanic anyway, but there are alot of small parts in that Marlin that can cause headaches. Keep it clean though and it will outlast you and still be shooting well for your kids.
  14. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The weakest part of a 60 is the "Recoil Buffer" a little plastic block behind the bolt.
    These tend to break where the pin that holds them in place goes through.
    Cheap to replace but a booger to put in due the the recoil spring acting like a slippery snake.

No matter I love my 60
  15. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO all U dudes (& dudesses) wit da Mod 60 long tube. Dont repeat dont bring it to Joisey, classified as an assault weapon and BANNED. I kid U not. Same as M1 carbine certain AR's, etc. an a buncha other gooddies. Bur a Mini 14 is ok. Go figger. Last year local county prosecutors office had a "buyback, $500 thas FIVE HUNDRED a pop for any "gun" turned in. 1of my buds had 3 mod 60's, picked up $1500 cash no questions asked---------only in America, or is it Joisey?

unfortunately ol IB didnt got any butchu best believe he invested $50 at the next Pa gunshow :cool:
  16. Rhiannon

Rhiannon New Member

I love my #60. Dad gave it originally to my little brother but when he joined the USAF Bro gave it to me. I really enjoy it.
  17. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

That's wild, IB! :eek: :rolleyes: Maybe I should send you my Glenfield to "turn in"... I'd even pay you a commission! ;)
  18. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Somo, if'n (a "sothen" werd) they run it again i will let U no :cool:
  19. jamesed

jamesed New Member

I have a Marlin Model 57 (Levermatic).

It has served me well for almost 35 years. The Levermatic is a tube feed (sucker will hold 25 shorts and 17 or 19 long rifle, I don't remember which because it is unimportant) short throw lever with a monte carlo full stock. The bolt is a sqare metal block that is tilted up at the end of it's travel to lock into the reciever.

It origionally had a very hard trigger but a few minutes work with a file and a stone fixed that problem. I mounted a Weaver K-22 4 power scope on it and have killed a gillion critters with it. It is an accurate rifle. Longest killing shot was at a badger taken at 125 yds with the thing.

The only problem I have had with it, is it has a tendency to break firing pins when fired on an empty chamber.

My other .22 rifles are a Remington Nylon 66 which loads through a tube in the stock and a Anschutz model 1903 .22 cal Match Rifle with a lot of 3rd party add ons.

My opinion for what it's worth, Marlin probably makes the most accurate .22 rifles but there triggers generally need some work, and their firing pins are a trifle fragle.
  20. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have both a Model 60 and a 10/22. I like both, but I shoot the 10/22 regularly, and the 60 sits in the closet most of its life... The 60 has a very crisp trigger, and lightweight feel, along with the quick loading tubular magazine. It's also par with the accuracy of the 10/22... With my 10/22, I keep several 25 rd. Butler Creek and/or 50 rd. Ramline magazines loaded, and just fire away. The 10/22 has a much nicer rear sight that's more visible than the 60's, and has a nice, flip down feature, along with windage correction... The 10/22 also seems to stay cleaner because a lot of the trash falls out with magazine changes... The 60 gets dirty more quickly, and you have to take it totally apart to clean it... Along with the 10/22s cleanliness comes a more reliable shot, with less jamming... I'm not trashing the 60, but I do like my 10/22 better... I got my 60 out tonight to clean it, and that got me interested in searching about 60s... That's how I found this forum...

I've owned the 60 for about 10 years, and the 10/22 for about 7 years... I'm also a fan of my Marlin Camp 9, so I'm a Marlin fan in general, but the 60 isn't as enjoyable to shoot as the 10/22...
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2005