1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I know that most folks don't care for fruit cake, but I like it, just can't eat it anymore. My mother made one every year, and I never saw anyone turn down a slice, or two. Her secret was Peach Brandy, and how it was applied! Buy a fruit cake, and a pint of Peach Brandy. Put the fruit cake in a good sealed cake holder. Apply the Brandy daily for at least 1 month. Mop it on, don't pour it on. Let it soak in slowly. Keep it covered so nothing evaporates!:D Use the whole pint of brandy! When you cut it should be really moist, and really good!
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I always thought is was disgusting, then I had a piece of Amaretto fruit cake last year and I couldn't get enough of it.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    They are usually very dry, some some good spirits really makes a difference! I have never tried the Amaretto, but I would bet my last dollar that it is wonderful!
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds REALLY GOOD, Carver! My Mom used to make it when I was a kid, and I never liked it much. When I was in Nam, I ate the C Ration fruit cake and really liked it. I now make it every year - tastes like the C Rat stuff. I use extra pecans and dried cherries in mine. I think the difference was Mom used the dried dates and the other hard dried fruits. Peach brandy? - gotta try it.
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i love fruit cake.
    my wife makes me a big one every year
  6. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

I got a fruit cake for christmas in 1990. I gave it as a gift the next year. Now it's a family tradition, this same cake gets sent to a different family member every year. Some have gotten it 4 or 5 times. Damn thing is 22 years old, luckly, some of us have grandkids to pass it on to. Maybe some prepper would like to have it.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm the only one in our family that eats it.

I LOVE it.

great with coffee. love fruitcake cookies too.

like you carver.. I really can't eat it anymore... have to watch my sugar, um.. trigs, cholestrol.. and 4 or 5 other things that make life less fun.. :) ( not suposed to eat it anyway.. though i do usually sneak a piece.. :) )
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

My wife loves fruitcake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably why she married me...........
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

i love to eat a good fruit cake.....those with more nuts and fruit than dough
  10. soundguy

my wife has a good sense of humor.. I'm guessing that's why she married me.. :) that or she has bad eyesight.. :)
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

or both?? :D:D:D

back to Carvers OP: I'm a fruitcake lover and not ashamed of it; it's tasty stuff !!
  12. soundguy

probably!
  13. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It is a known fact only one Fruit Cake was ever made. That Fruit was given away by everyone who ever recieved it. To this day that Fruit Cakes is being given away.:confused:
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I didn't really like fruit cake growing up. I do now and not only that I make a fruit cake for my sister as one of her Christmas presents and my Mom asked me to bake her one too.

Our recipe was my Mammaw's that started out as a prune cake. It has pecans, prunes, raisins, dates, candied cherries, and the usual spices. I'll post the recipe in the next day or so. I love it.
  15. soundguy

my mom, last year, made some fruit cake cookies.. loved them.. hoping for them again this year too!