1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I know that most folks don't care for fruit cake, but I like it, just can't eat it anymore. My mother made one every year, and I never saw anyone turn down a slice, or two. Her secret was Peach Brandy, and how it was applied! Buy a fruit cake, and a pint of Peach Brandy. Put the fruit cake in a good sealed cake holder. Apply the Brandy daily for at least 1 month. Mop it on, don't pour it on. Let it soak in slowly. Keep it covered so nothing evaporates!:D Use the whole pint of brandy! When you cut it should be really moist, and really good!
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I always thought is was disgusting, then I had a piece of Amaretto fruit cake last year and I couldn't get enough of it.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    They are usually very dry, some some good spirits really makes a difference! I have never tried the Amaretto, but I would bet my last dollar that it is wonderful!
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds REALLY GOOD, Carver! My Mom used to make it when I was a kid, and I never liked it much. When I was in Nam, I ate the C Ration fruit cake and really liked it. I now make it every year - tastes like the C Rat stuff. I use extra pecans and dried cherries in mine. I think the difference was Mom used the dried dates and the other hard dried fruits. Peach brandy? - gotta try it.
  5. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i love fruit cake.
    my wife makes me a big one every year
  6. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

I got a fruit cake for christmas in 1990. I gave it as a gift the next year. Now it's a family tradition, this same cake gets sent to a different family member every year. Some have gotten it 4 or 5 times. Damn thing is 22 years old, luckly, some of us have grandkids to pass it on to. Maybe some prepper would like to have it.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm the only one in our family that eats it.

I LOVE it.

great with coffee. love fruitcake cookies too.

like you carver.. I really can't eat it anymore... have to watch my sugar, um.. trigs, cholestrol.. and 4 or 5 other things that make life less fun.. :) ( not suposed to eat it anyway.. though i do usually sneak a piece.. :) )
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

My wife loves fruitcake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably why she married me...........
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

i love to eat a good fruit cake.....those with more nuts and fruit than dough
  10. soundguy

my wife has a good sense of humor.. I'm guessing that's why she married me.. :) that or she has bad eyesight.. :)
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

or both?? :D:D:D

back to Carvers OP: I'm a fruitcake lover and not ashamed of it; it's tasty stuff !!
  12. soundguy

probably!
  13. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It is a known fact only one Fruit Cake was ever made. That Fruit was given away by everyone who ever recieved it. To this day that Fruit Cakes is being given away.:confused:
  14. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I didn't really like fruit cake growing up. I do now and not only that I make a fruit cake for my sister as one of her Christmas presents and my Mom asked me to bake her one too.

Our recipe was my Mammaw's that started out as a prune cake. It has pecans, prunes, raisins, dates, candied cherries, and the usual spices. I'll post the recipe in the next day or so. I love it.
  15. soundguy

my mom, last year, made some fruit cake cookies.. loved them.. hoping for them again this year too!