Fugate Firearms, I got scammed

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by wyo1, Feb 7, 2010.

1. wyo1

wyo1 New Member

Just wanted to get this out in hopes of saving someone else the turmoil I have endured. I purchased a rifle from Matt Fugate of Fugate Firearms in Gilbertsville, Ky off of ********* and got scammed big time. The rifle was advertised as 100% NIB, I called Matt, he stated that if I didn't like the gun I had a 3 day inspection/return no hassle money back guarantee. Well the gun showed up and was clearly used, showed lots of wear,buggered up screws, etc. I sent the gun back but now he refuses to refund my money stating that I damaged the gun. Now he has the gun and my money. I will have to involve a lawyer, not really sure what to do. I cannot believe the level of deception I have been subjected to. These guys are dishonest and deceptive to say the least. Hope this keeps someone from making the mistake I did. Adam
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I'm sorry this happened to you, it is a huge disappointment. Try contacting the Better Business Bureau, and if you used a credit card you will be able to get the card company to help you make this right.
  3. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Suggest you modify the title of your post to include the address of the gunshop. We have a similarly named gunshop in this area and so far as I know they are reliable.
    BTW, isn't that a strong statement for a first post?
    oldogy
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Well if the OP is correct and truthful I would say his post is mild, compared to what I might have said..... It's sad that these kinds of things happen, but any time there's money involved, there's a chance someone will take advantage of someone else.

My question to the OP would be whether the firearm was opened and inspected at a receiving FFL or not. Generally when I receive a firearm, the box is unopened until I get to my FFL and we open the carton together so we each have a witness if there's every a discrepancy. So far, I've been lucky, I guess, and everything has been OK.
  5. wyo1

wyo1 New Member

The gun looks beautiful in the pictures I got. But when I got the gun the front guard screw was all buggered up alone with the rear sights screws. There was evidence that the rear sight had been removed at one time, handling marks on the forearm (two scratches), bluing wear on muzzle and finally a lot of wear around the rear edge of the grip cap, I would rate this rifle at 96 to 97% not 100% NIB. I’ve been looking for one of these a long time to add to my collection, I was really disappointed. I have no answers for why Matt Fugate did this I paid with a certified bank check which he had 4 days after the sale. I looked at ********* reviews which looked good but after all of this I have done a lot of research and have found quite a few folks that were taken by Fugate in the same manner as myself. I have everything documented, even pictures, This is the first time I have ever been scammed, Most folks dealing with guns I have found to be very honest and forthright, it only takes one bad apple. I only posted this in an effort to bring attention and possibly educate someone before they made a mistake like I did. Thanks Adam