The Firearms Forum banner

Full auto becomes legal

8K views 46 replies 34 participants last post by  raven818 
#1 ·
A friend asked me today if I wanted a full auto rifle, if I had the money. That got me to thinking, say our govt. woke up, read the Constitution, and realized that they are, indeed, bound by it.

Furthermore, they repealed all the intrusive gun laws, and fully automatic weapons were the same price as single shot.

Would I want one? With the price of ammo these days?

My answer, hell yes! I want a triple burst H & K MP5 so bad I can taste it. Yuck! Gun oil!

How about you all?

#2 ·
I'll pass. I shot my first full auto when I was only 7 and due to that, I grew out of the full auto phase pretty much by the time I hit 13. Didn't mean that I still didn't have fun with them as long as I wasn't paying for the ammo. It's just I feel they are over rated. Now fast forward to now and to the question asked in this thread. If the 1986 MG Ban was lifted and the NFA abolished all together, would I want to own a full auto? No, because it would serve no real practical use for me other than just being a fun gun I own for the hell of it. I would however own a single fun gun for the hell of it and it would be a .50AE Desert Eagle with gold finish.

#3 ·
I have a friend that has several full autos, i've shot all of them. They're fun when i'm not buying the ammo but do I want one? No, no pratical purpose other than TEOTWAWKI situation, spray and prey.

#9 ·
No I don't want one.
I have a friend who is an undercover DEA agent. He owns quite a few full autos. Years ago we were shooting on my range at knockdown metal targets at fifty yards. We alternated shooting the full auto and a 1911 .45. Whichever of us was shooting the .45 always knocked them down first

#17 ·
3 round burst capability maybe, but not full auto.

#19 ·
Why?

Or maybe a better question would be "why not?"

Trigger control. I can do two or three-round bursts (depends on rate of fire of the gun), so why do you need a limiter?

Just seems kinda like saying, "Yes, I'd like a Ferrari, as long as it had a governor, so I could not drive more than 75". Hell, exercise a little control over your foot. :D

#23 ·
Like I said - trigger control.

When I first got my Thompson, I loaded up a 30-round stick and dumped it. Later when I got a drum, I dumped it.

I've had machine guns since 1998. Those are the only two magazine-dumps I've ever done.

Back in the 80s, when I first got my Mini 14, and ammo was a nickel a shot (or less) I'd shoot that just as fast as I could. Didn't care about hitting targets - it was all about the noise and the "oooohhh, it's like a machine gun". Grew out of that.

I've seen many comments about full auto.

Many saying, "I want one with the 'happy switch'." By the way, I've never met anyone that owns one, that says, "Happy switch".

Many others saying, "I'd like one if someone else is buying the ammo".

Both of these seem to be laboring under the assumption that the correct way to shoot full auto is to hold the trigger back until it stops making noise.

Yes, you could take a MAC (I pick it because it's fast), and with 31 32-round magazines, that's almost a 1000-round case. And you could burn that thousand rounds in 15 minutes or less. But why?

If you had that Ferarri, you could take it out on the interstate and floor it, and drive between Tallahassee and Pensacola in about an hour and a half. Then turn around and drive back. Then turn around and drive back again. Do that all day, stopping only for gas. But why? Just because you have a car that will go 180, you MUST drive 180?

I can take three boxes of ammo - 150 rounds - and play for a hour and a half to two hours.

And, as you might can tell, I see no reason for a burst control. That's right up there with a safety on a lever gun.

Reactions: soundguy
#25 ·
Full auto was fun for the first time out with it but then I had to spend forever cleaning it. If I missed a spot I had to do the entire thing over again but with a different dirty weapon. The fun quickly left. Now it is just an unnecessary expense that can drain a hundred bucks in a very short time.

#26 ·
I have lived in title III States, and have owned select fire weapons. IF they were to be legalized here in Emporer Cuomo Land, OH, HELL YEAH, I WANT ONE AGAIN !!!!!! ( OK, maybe TWO )

EXPENSIVE ?? YES......VERY.

FUN ?? Like the first time you ( EDIT ) !

Happiness is being BELT FED.

#27 ·
I have lived in title III States, and have owned select fire weapons. IF they were to be legalized here in Emporer Cuomo Land, OH, HELL YEAH, I WANT ONE AGAIN !!!!!! ( OK, maybe TWO )

EXPENSIVE ?? YES......VERY.

FUN ?? Like the first time you ( EDIT ) !

Happiness is being BELT FED.
full auto in Emporer Cuomo Land, would be how fast you could pull the trigger on a muzzle loader!:(

#30 ·
Never shot the '16 with the 3 round burst fire control system, but I like the idea. Any more than a short burst on a target and you are just making noise.

In my waaay back younger days (and Uncle Sam was paying me to fly as a gunner on an Army chopper), I used to link up the first 15 rounds in my belt all tracers of my M60D for fast target aquisition. Getting on target was easy as spraying a garden hose.

If I could have one full-auto to leagally play with, it would be an M2 Carbine. Some of the Aussie SF guys in my AO had them, and the rate of fire was reported by our local Marines as much faster than our '16s. That was one slick weapon. Never fired one, but I imagine the recoil would be pretty easy to manage in .30 Carbine caliber. Just saying.... or maybe even an MP40......

#33 ·
Never shot the '16 with the 3 round burst fire control system, but I like the idea. Any more than a short burst on a target and you are just making noise.

In my waaay back younger days (and Uncle Sam was paying me to fly as a gunner on an Army chopper), I used to link up the first 15 rounds in my belt all tracers of my M60D for fast target aquisition. Getting on target was easy as spraying a garden hose.

If I could have one full-auto to leagally play with, it would be an M2 Carbine. Some of the Aussie SF guys in my AO had them, and the rate of fire was reported by our local Marines as much faster than our '16s. That was one slick weapon. Never fired one, but I imagine the recoil would be pretty easy to manage in .30 Carbine caliber. Just saying.... or maybe even an MP40......

#31 ·
I've shot full auto , 27 years in the military I've shot 30's 50's the Thomson, grease gun, M14's , M16's and a couple of foreign autos. I've even owned a few. Me, myself and I, well, I can live with out them. But that is just me. ( Have to admit, the Ma Duce is fun with someone's else's ammo , it will remove trees, small hills, buildings and what ever ).

#32 ·
I only need to propel one bullet at a time. I rarely miss what I aim at, and have yet to need to shoot something again after hitting it with the first.

All but a handful or so of my long guns are single shot. Full auto is fun, but is waaaaaay overrated, and just isn't worth the $ it takes to feed them for the same period of time. My repeating long guns rarely see any range time.

I can really care less if they deregulate full auto or not. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe they should have been regulated to begin with - but getting rid of the NFA is near the bottom of my list of gun laws that I'm trying to get repealed.

Reactions: tcox4freedom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.