Full Auto Shotguns

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by rstuartcars, Sep 8, 2006.

1. rstuartcars

rstuartcars New Member

Hi, this is my first time putting a post on this forum, so if I seem timid, or totally mess it up please bear with me. :eek: :)

I've seen a lot of online articles on 12 ga. shotguns that can fire 3 round bursts or fire full auto [ i.e. they are shotguns that are machine guns]. Two examples are the CAWS shotgun, or the USAS-12 shotgun.

I guess that 12 ga. machineguns, or machine gun caliber shotguns are rare, and maybe they aren't used at all. I'd think maybe a 7.62 assault rifle would work better in combat.

Can anyone answer this question for me?

Do fully automatic shotguns have any practical use for soldiers, or police, or other such professionals?
  2. Welcome to TFF, rstuartcars! :D

Fully automatic shotguns are not terribly common and are normally restricted totally to military or police ownership and use. Personally, I can easily see how they might be valuable for military use in close quarters situations, especially assaults against buildings, but probably much less useful to police because of their necessary concern for bystanders. Some of these weapons have a cyclic rate of fire around 360 rounds per minute, and with an open choke, that would spread a whale of a lot of buckshot pellets very widely and very quickly. At close quaters, there is NOTHING, not even a full auto assault rifle, that is more deadly than a shotgun.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Rs
    Yes they have a valuble tactical application multible target engagements with out haveing to be totally dead on with your aim which is not easy under adrenaline and low light conditions
  4. rstuartcars

rstuartcars New Member

Thank You for the data, Pistolenschutze and Southernshooter. If I ever get a chance to find a legal owner of such a shotgun, I probably won't plink with that shotgun for long. If I fire maybe Ten 12 ga. rounds in less than 4 seconds, my shoulders will probably tell me that "they don't want to play anymore". ouch! poor shoulders. Ha!

Have a Good Day,

rstuartcars
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Hey RS
    The recoil isn't really that bad because the full auto sytems uses most of the gases to eject then cycle the next
  6. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Shotgun news used to run ads for someone selling info on converting shotguns to belt fed. That and full auto would definitely test your shoulders.
  7. Tuttle

Tuttle New Member

The thought of a belt fed auto shotgun makes the blood ruch to my head.

Alternating buckshot and slug tracers for fun:)
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, that drum fed CAWS is intrigueing, BUT I can't help wondering if all it would be good for is repelling Banzai attacks in the jungle!

It's tough enough to jack my '97 fast enough holding the trigger down to keep five hulls in the air before the 6th goes boom (I've DONE it with target loads!) but when I tried it on a dare with SLUGS I only got THREE off before I had to quit, almost broke my JAW, much less the shoulder, and when I got HOME my wife asked me if I had been in a FIGHT...:D
  9. I have to agree with you Polish. I too once tried to rapid fire slugs from a Winchester 1300 shotgun (magazine restrictor removed) and found it not only impossible, but painful! Even with low brass birdshot loads it's not very much fun.
  10. polishshooter

Ya just GOTTA try it with a '97, a Model 12, or a Model 37 just ONCE to appreciate what "no disconnector" REALLY means....:p

Somewhere here there's a picture of me with 5 empties in the air with the '97 going off for the last time, but they WERE low brass #8s!:D

The DARE was right after that picture was taken to try it with 1oz Remingtons...I loaded up 6, put it to the shoulder TIGHT, leaned into it, touched her off, and held it down, and started jacking...the FIRST shot dislodged it just a little from the shoulder, the SECOND made it come almost all the way off and the cheek come up, and the THIRD? I don't know if I was coming back down with the cheek while the stock which was now an inch or two AWAY from the shoulder was coming UP and BACK....But it felt like a MULE kicked me and he MISSED a little and caught my JAW on the way to NAILING me in the upper ARM.:eek:

My jaw was swelled and RED, and I had a tank top on, and the upper arm was DARK blue with SOME blood....:p

The target loads were pretty cool...BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM...The SLUGS went BLAMBLAMBLAMOWWOh SH!!!T!!!:D :D :D

I didn't have to pay the bet though, everybody was laughing so hard they forgot to have me pay!
  11. Next time you try it, Polish, try using 3" magnums. Can I watch? :D :p ;)
  12. polishshooter

The '97 don't TAKE no stinkin' 3 inchers...Thank the Lord....:p