Full Case

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sinsaba, May 20, 2009.

1. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

I'm not sure what to do here. I'm reloading 124 gn 9mm Gold Dot. The speer book says 7.1 - 7.9 gn of Blue Dot. Case trim length of 0.744"

My case length is 0.7445 and I measure out 7.5 gn of Blue Dot. It almost entirely fills the case. The book does not mark this as a compressed load.

Ok, so they might have made a mistake. Firt I check another book. This time the Lee manual. They don't have anything using Blue Dot for a 124 gn bullet but they do have data for a 125 gn bullet. This data says 8.2 gn of Blue Dot.

My concern is that as I said 7.5 grains almost fills the case and when I seat the bullet I can't believe it doesn't compress it some. But it isn't marked in the manual as a compressed charge.

Any thoughts??
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Powder lots may have dfferent bulk densities but still be within the manufacturers specifications. Have you started at the starting load? If you did not have any problems adding 0.3 grains and test those rounds. Then move on to 7.5 or 7.6 grains and test them. If you are not seeing any pressure problems I wouldn't be concerned.

Hang around and others should be weighing in on this subject that may have more or better information.

:) Jeff
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with 9mm
  5. Sinsaba

Sinsaba New Member

As a rule, for a starting load, I split the difference between the min. load and the max load. In this instance that would be 7.5 gn.

I have loaded the maximum of 7.9 using a different bullet. I used 124 gn Golden Saber and didn't have problem.

I only just found in my log that I had done that. Otherwise I might not have posted the question.
  6. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Just to let you know...your case trim length is short according to the hornady handbook. It says the max length is .754 and trim length is .749 which is longer than yours (not by much...I would think that it would be ok just watch your bullet seating, have it not as deep in the case).

The max load is 6.6 gr and that will get you 1100fps...check others for info like alliant website, this is straight out of hornady handbook. I think you are loading toooo hot...at least start with 5.7 gr and that will bring you to 1000fps especially since you are using shorter shells which will increase velocity anyway.

Good luck

J
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

wish i could help, i dont' know what to tell you, I was simply making you aware of the sticky. in reading some of the post on that thread i get the impression that the formula for the powder has changed. I dont know. I dont use blue dot or load 9's.