Full Size 1911 Holster do you have

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bulldog1862, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bulldog1862

Bulldog1862 New Member

I would like to see what type of holster you shooters like to have on your hip. If you carry all day CCW tell us. If you are going to the range tell us. Open carry say at the Ranch or farm or the Pawn shop tell us. I am looking toward Leather, But if you have a better idea let me know.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My every day, all day, carry holster.

Attached Files:

3. Bulldog1862

Bulldog1862 New Member

Hi Carver I think that is what I would like. Who is the manufacture, I was looking at the Galco line.
  4. Jump Boot

Jump Boot New Member

I have a Galco Conceal Carry holster that I find very comfortable and sits at my side at the right angle and heigth.It cost about $85.00 but is the best that I found for OWB carry around my farm.I can ride my horse with it and have no problems.
  5. tundra01

tundra01 New Member

This is my Galco. It's a paddle holster and is very comfortable.

Gabe 010.jpg
  6. carver

carver Moderator

This style of holster is called a Yacquie (spelling) style holster. It is a belt slide holster, an on the waist band type holster (OWB).There are several holster makers that make this style. Check out Bianchi's Minimalist Holster. I think that the .45 is a heavy gun, and with 8 rds. added into the mix, it gets even heavier, therefore a lighter holster works better for me, just less weight.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. neilin

neilin New Member

I have used a number of holsters over the years. Currently, I favor a plastic paddle type holster made by Fobus.
  8. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

What does paddle holster actually mean? where does the "paddle" term come into play?
  9. tundra01

tundra01 New Member

You can see the paddle on the holster in the photo. The holster does not have slots for your belt. The paddle goes over your belt and pants and rest on the inside against you hip. When you get ready to remove it just spread it apart and lift up. The paddle itself is slightly concave to fit your hip.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

This is a pic of the Fobus paddle holster. Paddle holster are comfortable to wear for most people, and they are put on, and taken off easily. This one is on sale at midwayusa.com for .$17.99. You can plainly see the paddle in this photo.

Attached Files:

11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have an Elpaso Saddlery "Cutaway" for my 1911 SIG. It is a OWB holster and is very comfortable but you have to undo your belt to remove it. It is unique in that the "cutaway" looks like swiss cheese. It has varying hole sizes cut into the holster giving it this different look.
  12. pickenup

pickenup New Member

I use a Fobus paddle for carry, and "some" competition.
    I have a Blade-Tech for the "other" competition. (drop and offset)
  13. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

I made this holster. It is based on a Crossbreed but it uses thicker leather and thicker Kydex as well as stronger fasteners.

I made mine due to a dispute with the owner of Crossbreed over quality but I think his product and warranty are better today. I highly recommend this type of holster.

It holds the 1911 at a slight cant (this is adjustable) and tucks it into the hallow at your side. Makes your firearm virtually invisible but with instant access. I've made a few others, one for a Beretta Cougar and one for a Smith & Wesson Super Light snub nosed revolver. Both of which are used daily.

Probably the most comfortable holster I have ever worn.

I am making an SOB next. We'll let you know how that turns out.

Click to enlarge:
    [​IMG]
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I utilize the 5 position blackhawk paddle holster. I like it because it wears outside my pants, rides high so my shirt easily covers it, and releases the pistol at the touch of a button. Its pretty comfortable and lends itself well to a 6 ft. 300 lb. man driving a pontiac fiero;)
  15. 45nut

45nut New Member

I have a Galco OWB like carver's , but what I use most is a cheap Galco IWB that had a thumb break which I removed because my belt keeps it secured. It can ride there all day without a bit of trouble.