Fun at the range today

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slabsides, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Jul 22, 2009
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    I had to try the old trick of shooting a playing card from the side. I got the sights dialed in on my Rossi 851 and shot these two at 10 feet.

[​IMG]

A few people wanted to see me do it again so I ran two more out and thought "great, things always fail when people watch" but hit 2 more with only one miss.:)

Now it's time to run them out to 25 feet and see how much ammo I can waste.:D

2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Wow, I would not even come close to seeing a playing card with an edge orientation let alone divide one with a bullet. Nice shooting! How many shots to get the deed done?

3. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Jul 22, 2009
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    First card: 2 miss 1 hit. Second card: 2 miss 1 hit. Third card: 1 hit. Fourth card: 1 miss 1 hit.

Try it. It's not as hard as it sounds at 10 feet. If I can do that at 25 feet, I'll feel like I've done something.:eek:

4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Cool! I like trying those kinds of tricks. Good shooting! :)

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Good shooting! Now after you try the 25 foot shot, try striking a match. That ought to keep you bussy for a while!:eek::D

6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    I have to know, (without ever trying it) can that actually be done with a bullet? Ive heard my cousin say he's done it time and time again with a .22LR, (never seen him do it to this day) but can it really be done?
    And dont get me wrong, I'm not doubting anyone here!

7. Zane71464

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    Nice shooting Slabsides!

8. carver

It can be done. Having said that, I have shoot hundreds of rounds of .22 at matches. I have marked the white end of a strike anywhere match, and have knocked the white end off of a match, but I have never actually struck one. Still trying though!:D Check out Myth Busters, they got it done!

9. Zane71464

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    Dang that's pretty accurate shooting!
    I dont know why I havent ever tried that. The closest ive ever tried was empty .22lr shells with a single six @ 25 yards.

Ive seen that somewhere (myth busters?) It may have been "Extreme Marksman II?" But somewhere I thought they dispelled that? But anyways,
    just hitting the white tip of the match it quite a feat! (talking about an 1/16"-1/8" margine...Man!):D

10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I've see a show where the guy tried and tried and you would have thought it would have worked a few times but it never did. He then made an apparatus that he could shoot that would light the match. :p

I have a few matches I've saved just to try that with, maybe I'll try it today?

Where did I put those?

11. carver

On Myth Busters they used a .45ACP locked down in a rest. And it still took them many shots to get it done, but they did it! Yea that was Imposible Shots, I saw that show. They used electricity to light the match after the shooter hit a much larger target. And by the way, this will only work with strike anywhere matches. The newer safety matches will not work.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  12. Closest to anything like that I've done is a penny at 100 feet. Ruger 10/22, BSA Vari. power scope, not sure which model, up to 12x, match trigger, prone shot propped on backpack. Could never hit it passed 100 feet though.

13. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    sweet dude. i had a fun range day yesterday too. hit a bullseye at 20 ft on my first shot w/ my Springfield. wish i woulda kept the target.

14. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Jul 22, 2009
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    You're on. What distance?:)

15. Zane71464

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    With your Rossi 851? Not saying it cant be done, but that would be tough
    (for me)! Heck, and I thought I was doing good with the single six, 9 1/2" barrel with the empty .22lr shells...
    {thinking I need to practice more....:eek:}