fun target revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mooresridge9, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mooresridge9

mooresridge9 New Member

Most of my shooting is at a members only outdoor gun range just outside Harrisburg,PA.A small club,managed properly and a fun place to spend a couple of hours.It even has a small ( 1 acre) stocked trout pond.My recent purchase is a 1931 Colt Officers Model Target Revolver with a 6 inch barrel.Gun is very tight but has lost 90% of its bluing yey shows no evidence of hard use.No dings,nicks and only a few very minor scratches.No clue how the prior owners used this gun to merit perfect condition except lack of bluing.It's a great shooter, smallish frame fits the hand great, mild recoil and a thing of beauty.The quality of craftsmanship is all over this gun.It would be a great candidate for rebluing but I like the gray.My buddy who is a much better shot than I am can group under 3" at 50 feet from a resting position-rseting his arms on a shooting table.Shooting the 38 special is more fun than shooting .22's.I was lucky to get good factory ammo( real brass) for $13.57 per box of 50.Don't overlook these old guns for shooting pleasure.I'm enjoying this 80 year old gun a lot.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are having a ball with your revolver shooting. I agree with you on the old guns. I am close to the age of your gun, lol, with lots of scratches, scars and surface wear but I can still have a great time shooting. The same is with the fire arms and a little surface ware is just character. :D
  3. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My favorite handgun is my S&W 686. It's now where near as old as yours, but it's a great time at the range. Shoots .38special like a .22. I have turned many people that were afraid of guns, into shooters with it.
  4. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

Just bought the Ruger GP100 357/38 with six inch barrel. Fun for target shooting and great for self-defense.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome Roger. You won't be sorry you got the Ruger, it is a great gun.
  6. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

x2, I have the 4" barrel and love shooting that
  7. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

The four inch is very cool too and I almost went that way. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have both? :cool:
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Hello Moores, great to hear from another Central PA shooter. Enjoy the OMT, those old Colts were masterpieces. :)