1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

fun target revolver

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mooresridge9, Feb 23, 2011.

1. mooresridge9

mooresridge9 New Member

Most of my shooting is at a members only outdoor gun range just outside Harrisburg,PA.A small club,managed properly and a fun place to spend a couple of hours.It even has a small ( 1 acre) stocked trout pond.My recent purchase is a 1931 Colt Officers Model Target Revolver with a 6 inch barrel.Gun is very tight but has lost 90% of its bluing yey shows no evidence of hard use.No dings,nicks and only a few very minor scratches.No clue how the prior owners used this gun to merit perfect condition except lack of bluing.It's a great shooter, smallish frame fits the hand great, mild recoil and a thing of beauty.The quality of craftsmanship is all over this gun.It would be a great candidate for rebluing but I like the gray.My buddy who is a much better shot than I am can group under 3" at 50 feet from a resting position-rseting his arms on a shooting table.Shooting the 38 special is more fun than shooting .22's.I was lucky to get good factory ammo( real brass) for $13.57 per box of 50.Don't overlook these old guns for shooting pleasure.I'm enjoying this 80 year old gun a lot.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are having a ball with your revolver shooting. I agree with you on the old guns. I am close to the age of your gun, lol, with lots of scratches, scars and surface wear but I can still have a great time shooting. The same is with the fire arms and a little surface ware is just character. :D
  3. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My favorite handgun is my S&W 686. It's now where near as old as yours, but it's a great time at the range. Shoots .38special like a .22. I have turned many people that were afraid of guns, into shooters with it.
  4. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

Just bought the Ruger GP100 357/38 with six inch barrel. Fun for target shooting and great for self-defense.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Welcome Roger. You won't be sorry you got the Ruger, it is a great gun.
  6. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

x2, I have the 4" barrel and love shooting that
  7. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

The four inch is very cool too and I almost went that way. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have both? :cool:
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Hello Moores, great to hear from another Central PA shooter. Enjoy the OMT, those old Colts were masterpieces. :)