1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Funny Conversation at the 1500 today..."Glockies" Please Note!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Jan 14, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I was jawing with an "A" Class shooterat a booth from an IPSC club north of Indy, reminiscing about the rules when I shot it in the 80s and the changes now... MANY, not all that good if I want to get back into it...

...but he told me about the lowered floor limits for 'Major" and Minor" callibers, and I asked him why they lowered it from 175000 to 165000 and he said to make the supers safer, and most A class are now shooting supers...

Right when one of his buddies that kept coming up, and going and then coming back with something else he had bought, the buddy heard me telling the guy about a numbnuts pushing the old limit with a super when that was just the beginning of the trend and blowing his 1911 once while a bunch of us were practicing the day before a match, his buddy goes "That's like the time I blew up my .40..."to the A shooter...

I asked him, pretty quickly, "Was it a Glock?"

And the answer was, with a surprised look," Yes it was, how did you know?" :cool:
  2. SACRILEDGE!!

Eleventh Commandment: Who so ever taketh the name of Glock in vain shall suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and shall dwell in the house of the infernal Llama forever!

:D :rolleyes: :eek: :p
  3. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

To all you Glock haters answer a question please. If Glocks are so bad why are they copied so much? :eek:
  4. polishshooter

Hey, does anybody know why I can't get anything when I try to hit www.1911sgoboom.com?

How about www.sigsgoboom.com? Hmmmmm.... :cool:

ADMIT it guys, unless MOST "stupid handloaders" also own Glocks, (which in itself just may not be out of the question, I guess... :) ) which I doubt, there HAS to be a "design flaw..." :cool:

(GOD I missed raising the Glockies' BP... :p ALMOST as much fun as teasing the Germanophiles who love Mausers and Tigers... :D )
  5. user_error

user_error New Member

Cos no one will pay that much for a glock.

*snicker*
    naw, glocks are alright.
  6. polishshooter

User- :D

I don't really have anything personally AGAINST Glocks either, even if I WOULDN'T ever own one...

...or ANYTHING in "10mm short"

But isn't it amazing how DEFENSIVE people get when something "new" very quickly rises to a pseudo "religion?" :cool:
  7. Well Polish, you always have the option of going back to a Colt S/A as your carry piece, or perhaps an old flintlock or cap-and-ball. :rolleyes: Glocks, qua Glocks, aren't really the issue, I think. It's the idea of innovation and improved functional design. It is worthy to note that Glock was the first to use polymers successfully for commercally produced pistols, and now every major gun maker produces them. Glock also commercially introduced the striker-fired action design. I would argue also that if Glocks produce a cult, the 1911s created an even larger, more fervent one. :D
  8. polishshooter

Uh, PS? I agree that referring to the Glockies as a "cult" is apt...

And I FULLY support polymers! As a GRIP on my handgun or knife, not the FRAME or BLADE!

But in MY book a One hundred year old design (OK, so it TOOK 6 years to make it "perfect..." :cool: ) that develops a "devoted group of adherents" AFTER MILLIONS serving in two world wars, and countless firefights in ALL kinds of conditions, and has had MILLIONS of RELOADS fired down barrels throated by everyone from Steve Nastoff to ME, and STILL has not had to coin a "special term" for "catastrophic failure," is NOT a "cult..." PLUS any 1911 "fanatic" will CHEERFULLY tell you of the aspects of the design they don't like, or THEY think is a "design flaw..." I have NEVER heard a true "Glockie" say ANYTHING bad about one, and who also will attack anyone who DOES with more vehemence than a Liberal attacking W!

Glocks are good.
    Glocks are great.
    Jus' don't shoot reloads
    like the manuals state.

I copied/pasted that RIGHT from a "PRO-GLOCK" website! Which had LINKS to 'Kabooms!"

Come on! ANY design of a HANDGUN that CANNOT take handloads as per factory direction is a FAILURE, or at LEAST has to have MORE development! You CANNOT be a truly good handgunner WITHOUT THOUSANDS of rounds downrange. and you CANNOT afford to be a good handgunner IF YOU ONLY SHOOT FACTORY!

My POINT is that years ago, yeah, we had "catastrophic failures" in IPSC...ask Rob leatham or SCORES of others WHY they wear BEARDS! But it was RARE, and we ALWAYS new why...it WASN'T handloading per se, it was A class shooters or B class boobs "pushing" the .38 super round WAY past the limits in any manual to gain an advantage in the sprort of IPSC! WE didn't blame the design, we blamed the damm fool, and he KNEW it as well. But even with the "super nuts", catastrophic failures were SO rare, IF you actually SAW one, it USED to be a an "event." I saw ONE. I personally KNEW only that one guy who had his blow. ALL the others were stories like mine, anecdotal.

And I consider myself neither a "handloader" or a "pistolsmith..." but in my IPSC days put OVER 50000 rounds IN ONE YEAR, maybe 100000 total over 5 years, 99+% of them MY handloads, through my 1911 clone, that I built from parts, through 3 DIFFERENT barrels that I "throated" myself. Can ANY Glockie say that? And I was NOT unique, heck, MOST "A class" put twice that many rounds as I did down their barrels in ONE YEAR.

NOW, "Kabooms" are SO common, that in an incidental contact at a gunshow leads to an "innocent" "That's like what happened to MY .40????" And what I DIDN'T post yesterday was the rejoinder from the A class..."Some people shouldn't handload!"

I'm sorry, Glockies and Glock,Inc.,have their head in the sand... now I'm NOT saying it MAY not have so many OTHER advantages in a fight that make taking the chance it's going to seriously injure you a "calculated risk..." If that be it, go forth with my blessing....and I hope you can afford to shoot it enough...

Now as to the SA Army allusion...THAT is EXACTLY my opposition to the .40S&W...

THe .40 is ballistically IDENTICAL to the old .38-40 Blackpowder SAA round! The .38 was misnamed, it was actually .40 cal. And it was NOT considered an optimum defense round, IN THE 19th CENTURY! NOBODY who was seriously into defensive handgun use picked a .38 Colt SAA IF a .44-40 or a .45LC was available!

JMHO...
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  9. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Are those slings and arrows being used because the glock doesn't? :D

Just kidding. I don't really have any experience with them, I just had to say that. :)
  10. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

now wait just a minute pistolenschutze, i had a llama minimax in 45, put night sites on it , soaked the entire gun in Teflon lube, put a 4 lb trigger job on itput a 45 buffer pad on it smoother out the edges. got it last year. so it was the last model they made that was decent. it shot dead on at 15 yds.
  11. polishshooter

Well, we know LURPY is going to fit in nicely here, don't we? THAT was a good one...and to tell you the truth, I really don't have anything against Glocks either, just like to get the goat of the "Glockies"....even though I don't think I'd ever buy one...if I WAS to get another .45, a DAO Sig looks pretty nice!

You know if somebody was to GIVE me one (in .45 of course...) I could ring it out and maybe change my mind! ;) IF I didn't lose any more fingers that is! :cool:
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

PS, before you start spouting the "Glock invented everything good" claptrap, a bit of history:

The first commercially produced polymer framed pistosl were developed by Heckler & Koch in the VP70, which also had a striker action over 15 years before the Glock.

You can't even claim "commercially successful" as the criteria, because the VP70 was manufactured from 1970 through 1989, a 19 year run. Sure, it wasn't the hit that the Glock was, but it was successful.

This is not to say Glock's not a good choice. FOR YOU. Just don't try to push it on me and definitely don't claim that Glock is superior to a 1911. It ain't. It's different. Mr. Glock has ONE design that turned out well. John Moses Browning has TONS of designs that are still being manufactured NEW today. Will Mr. Glock's reputation be the same 100 years down the road? Our children or our grandchildren will find out.
  13. Polish, I do think your gonna get ulcers, or at least apoplexy, if you keep up this failure to recognize progress . At your age, such obstinacy can place undue strain on the ol' bod. Now, ol' Doc Pistolenschutze's prescription is as follows:

1. Buy 1 litre good whiskey. Drink half. If you still feel the need to own oblescent equipment, drink the other half. ;)

2. Buy a fine Glock pistol; in your case, perhaps a G21 would be best . Spend some quality time with this new, lovely creature. Feel her curves, fondle her inner most secret places, ponder her rugged but utilitarian and yet faultless design.

3. Memorize new rhyme:

Consider the perfection of the Glock,
    It comes in a nice light frame,
    No toggles to press,
    No safeties that hitch,
    Just squeeze the little trigger on that son of a . . . :cool:

OK, OK, enough of that, but I just couldn't resist, Polish. Ranks right up there with the great poets, don't you think? The muse of poetry must have overtaken me unbeknownst. :D

All kidding aside, I must question seriously the contention that handloads are especially dangerous with Glocks, Polish. They are no more dangerous with Glocks than with any other make of handgun. ALL manufactuers recommend against handloads and most say they will void the warrenty if handloads are used. Polish, I have put at least 4,000 rounds of handloaded ammo through my Glock 33 and Glock 30 just in the last year without a single mishap of any kind, not so much as a misfire or jam. Granted, I know how to handload and I certainly know enough not to play with idiotic max-pressure loads in ANY handgun, or use lead bullets that gunk up the barrel. My handgun target loads are all with TMJ or FMJ ammo for any handgun I load for, including the two .45 1911 Colts I own. Fingers lost to Glocks firing handloads belonged, I would argue, largely to amateur handloaders who simply couldn't resist the temptation to up the powder charge past all reason and common sense.

Glocks are not perfect; no design is, but I do believe they are an excellent and very reliable design and far easier to carry and use than any steel S/A or double/single auto available. As for the .45 Colt 1911, you won't hear any complaints from me on its reliability or its effectiveness. Hell, I carried one as my constant companion for a year in VN, and yes, had occasion to use it, and not just for practice. It's a fine weapon in it place, and I think the military was stupid to trade it in for that useless Beretta POS they issued to the troops in the '80s. But the 1911 was and is a military and police weapon, precisely as J. M. Browning intended it to be. For range or competition shooting, sure, it works beautifully, but it is not, I think, a good concealed carry arm. It's much too heavy, far too bulky, and too damn complicated in operation without more training than most civilians ever get, and then constant practice to maintain that competence. In the right hands, it's fine, but "the right hands" doesn't include 90% of the shooting public.
  14. No real argument there, John. I don't think any weapon design is necessarily superior to any other. It depends mostly on the circumstances of use and also on the person using it. As I said, I DON'T think the 1911 is a good carry pistol, at least not for me and for the reasons I stated above, though I can shoot military "Expert" with one. As for Browning, he was the FOREMOST weapons genius ever to have lived. No question about that.

PS: Most of that above was just to needle Polish anyway. ;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

If they are copied so much, why haven't they been around for 95 years, used by the US military or seen 75 years service in the military? Now, want to count copies? Start counting the copies of the 1911 designed by JMB. Far more of them, than Glochs! ;) :D :D :D