FUNNY HAPPENINGS

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hope6970
    (5/8/01 4:27:00 pm)
    | Del All FUNNY HAPPENINGS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can remember, what was one of the funnest things that happened to you while in Nam? This can be a funny happening or just a very strange happening.

Hope

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/9/01 9:43:38 am)
    | Del Re: FUNNY HAPPENINGS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope, to be honest with you, there weren't very many fun things that I can remember. Although our 4th platoon leader located in Lai Khe was a nut case. His preference of wear was Hawaiian shirts, shorts, and sneakers. Interestingly, he'd fly missions in that outfit. None of the rest of us were either allowed or would have chosen to dress like that since it might have made escape and evasion difficult.

Genog
    (5/9/01 12:31:20 pm)
    The funniest thing I can remember is once when we were heading up the Saigon River on our way to Saigon. We passed numerous VNamese boats tied up along the banks of the river or anchored just off shore. On these boats there were vietnamese people on both ends of the boats. Hanging off the bow would be vnamese taking baths or washing clothes, pots and pans..etc...and on the stearn someone would be taking a leak or a dump. The ones doing the cleaning chores were always the ones down stream from the ones dumping. And we all know shit flows downriver. That just cracked me up.
    Geno G

longshot1
    (5/9/01 12:41:07 pm)

Besides me hanging out of my helicopter on my home made, too damned long safety strap.(wasn't funny to me at the time)

The only funny thing I can remember is while on a gun run with a great deal of return fire one of the crew thought he was on intercom but broadcast instead. While dodging in ducking he mumbled " I good lawyer
    could get me out of this". Immediately, one of the ground troops involved in the action radioed back
    "don't get the one I had". We laughed so hard it was difficult to continue shooting.

Guess you had to be there.

NickG

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/9/01 12:44:20 pm)
    Nick.......I can see the humor in that....would have cracked me up as well!!

Indybear57
    (5/9/01 2:07:20 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: FUNNY HAPPENINGS
    Nick- about the lawyer! So what's this about a homemade safety strap? Didn't Uncle Sam provide?

106RR196LIB
    (5/9/01 2:27:03 pm)
    A Chinook Practical Joke

Since I was in heavy weapons I traveled often by Chinook. As many of you know this was a BIG twin rotor helicopter that could carry heavy loads lke recoilless rifles and howitzers. We could carry a couple of gunjeeps inside of one. Many of the Chinook air crew could recognize me or knew me by sight.
    I had an elaborate bunker called the Great Hotel situated on a mountaintop facing west towards Laos. Just South of my bunker and a little downhill, we had a very nice outdoor latrine. While it was a pit toilet, it did have rolled up sandbags for a comfy seat. It was in a position where it could not be hit by sniper fire and it was the most scenic in Vietnam. It had a beautiful view of the Que Son Valley and the central highlands. These are stunningly beautiful, green, rugged, jungle covered mountains that seem to stretch all the way to the horizon in Laos.
    {In prior posts, I referred to the Que Son Valley as Hiep Duc Valley. The village of Hiep Duc is in that valley. I hoped to avoid confusion with Khe San Valley which is in a different place. The Que Son Valley, Hiep Duc Valley and Happy Valley are all the same valley. It was called Happy Valley in gruntspeak -- it wasn't a happy place!}
    Just before sundown, I would walk down to the latrine for a relaxing, scenic crap. "Crap" is of course a medical term related to a Bowel Movement, hereafter called by the medically correct term of "Crap".
    The last Chinook of the day was taking off from our little LZ, as they passed over my scenic latrine they recognized the big 106 RR on top of the Great Hotel and guessed who would be on the seat taking a crap. They dropped to a hovering position about 30 feet off the ground and slightly downhill from me. This left me in an 80 mph double rotor propwash! The doorgunner and crew chief came to the same window on the left side of the Chinook to wave at me while roaring laughing. I think they were yelling "Hi Gross" (Gross was my grunt nickname) but I couldn't hear at all in the propwash. I gestured to them courteously with my middle finger while holding on to the latrine to keep from being blown away. They laughed even harder when they recognized my courtesy gesture. It seemed like an eternity but they finally flew away waving and laughing. OH Well!

Mike H

TShooters
    (5/9/01 3:21:39 pm)
    Great and funny stories!

Our neighbor and good friend, Butt (his nickname) has some of the funniest I've ever heard. The fun part is watching him tell them in his funny, animated, lots-of-facial-expressions kind of way. He was Army Artillery, and in VN in '70 or '70/'71.
    Seems they were pulling off this hill, and the big guns had already been moved.
    They were ordered to burn the sh*tters and get rid of their extra nitro starch. (I think that's what it's called...something like fuses for the guns/howitzers?? Think they had plenty of extra! LOL) So...they decide to kill two birds with one stone..so to speak. The hill they were on had a shear cliff on one side. He said when that baby went off, there was a huge explosion and fire ball that went hundreds of feet in the air, not to mention what was left of the latrine and it's contents. The blast nearly burned their clothes off, and everyone was hangin' over the side of the cliff by their fingernails. When everything settled down, they got a call on the radio telling them that "I guess you know everyone in SVN knows where you are!" It was then that they realized they didn't have much to protect themselves if they were attacked.

He has another great story about the rock apes. Have any of you encountered this species in VN?

Sharon

Edited by: TShooters at: 5/9/01 4:26:12 pm

homer4
    (5/9/01 11:04:42 pm)
    Man!,that's some very funny sh!t guys!

Can't remember anything outlandish here,Sorry.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

longshot1
    (5/10/01 6:09:29 am)

No the Army didn't provide safety straps at the time. I think I saw on this or the msnbc board where they
    used "Monkey Straps" which I assume are the same, but not sure. I told that story on the other board.
    I miscalculated the length of the strap which I made out of parachute harness, kicked the burning rocket pod off, fell out couldn't get back in and got reprimanded etc. etc. Sure did enjoy the awards ceremony for the pilot though.

This is 65-66 before Nomex as we flew in the luxury of jungle fatigues.
    We were there to make it safe for those to follow. Guess we didn't do a good job.

NickG

Indybear57
    (5/11/01 9:44:35 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: FUNNY HAPPENINGS
    Nick-I know you told the story on the MSN board but I thought maybe you'd post it here for all of the new folks. Please? (It was pretty funny!)