funny stuff in my AR

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cowboy898, Aug 9, 2012.

1. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

Hello,

Not sure this is the area to post this, but here it is. First let me say that I clean my guns when returning home each time I go to the range. I also clean them if they have been in the safe for three weeks or more.

The other day I took out my AR and began to clean it and found a green film in the chamber. Similar to what you see on copper when it ages. It cleaned out with my AR brush with solvent on it and a number of patches to dry it off. The gun has been in the safe for about two and a half weeks and cleaned before being put away.

I have not seen this before and not sure what it could be.

Any ideas what that would be?
  2. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Where is your safe? Do you have a dehumidifier or Desiccant?
  3. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

It is in the middle of my home in my reloading room and I have a dehumidifier in it.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was left over copper solvent in the chamber from it's last cleaning.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Ya, sounds like a solvent not fully removed.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

use some Sweet's 7.62 or other copper solvent (ammonia based) on a patch, scrub for about a minute or so, dry patch the bore and then use your regular powder solvent again to finish up.

I like to use some JB bore paste too, would be good if you haven't done so in a while, that will remove quite a bit of gunk also.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Since most all of the copper solvents have ammonia in them I never leave them in the bore or chamber as ammonia will attack steel over time or if strong enough. I always follow the last dry patch after the copper solvent with a wet patch of Hoppe #9 and then a dry patch then an oil patch (leaving a light film of oil in the bore and the chamber). A wise shooter runs one dry patch through the bore just before shooting the gun at the range to remove all the oil.

Sounds to me (and the others here) that some copper solvent, saturated with copper, got left in the bore/chamber. The solvent evaporated leaving the residue.

LDBennett
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my bet is solvent residue leached a bit more copper out of the bore as well.
  9. GunHugger

I don't know if this was done or not...

Don't clean your AR upside down, some people do for whatever reason. Solvents can enter the gas system and then drain back into the bore.
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

LD is right. Many copper solovents have ammonia in them. Left over and not removed it will attack the steel. also any copper not fully removed will also turn a blue green color and then dry that way
  11. cowboy898

cowboy898 New Member

Great advice everyone. I will be more careful in the future.
  12. GunHugger

Yes LD is right, and the 5 other people that said more or less the same thing.