G.I. Builds

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by det45, May 18, 2012.

1. det45

det45 Member

Hello all, Recently I built two G.I. spec 1911's out of umissued G.I. parts I got from a friend. My friends dad use to be a armorer for Ft. Sam Houston back in the sixties and seventies. He passed away in 2005 and gave his son his surplus 1911 parts he collected over the years. The slides are G.I. Colts and the barrels are High Standards. The rest of the parts are un-used parkerized pieces. The grips are brown plastic and the rear main spring housings are the arched lanyard type. The frames I used are Fosters and are consecutively serial numbered. I was amazed that all of the parts went together without any gun smithing, only exception was the slides being little tight on the frames but I worked them into a smooth operation. Trigger pull on both pistols are typical G.I. grade pull. Both pistols functioned well and shot decent groups. Did I get lucky on these builds or what.....det45 :D
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Welcome Det;

Indeed you did get lucky. I would love to see some pics of those beauties!
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

The old GI parts usually fit without and actual hand fitting.

Show some pics and give us a range report.
  4. det45

det45 Member

Ok, I'll post them once I get them parkerized.
  5. det45

det45 Member

By the way, my buddy also has some un-marked G.I. Slides with some numbers stamped on them. I'm assuming they are contract replacement slides. I wonder which manufacture made them. They all have the number 160447 stamped on them. Anyone know anything about these slides?