Garand Blowout

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Diamondback, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

4 or 5 years ago I was finally fortunate enough to obtain my 1st Garand. Sringfield Armory Manf. Serial#1526***. Supposed to have left Springfield in 1943. About a month after I got it home I took out to a local range to sight it in and just play with it in general. About the 3rd shot out of the 4th clip I felt somthing blow past my left forearm , a gust of wind I thought. Just as I waas starting to get back to my sights I noticed that the forestock looked strange. Closer examination revealed that a piece of the stock about 12" or 13" was missing. I safed the rifle then ejected the partial clip and waited for the cease fire order. I located the missing piece just to my left and in front of the bench. It took another 45 min, or so to locate the culprit. Mr. Garand was indeed a genius. The bolt face of the Garand has 2 small cutouts on the bottom. They are angled at approx. 45'. They are there to vent the gasses away from the shooter face in the event of a cartridge blowout. The following pictures show the cartridge case, the original stock, with the fracture lines highlighted and the new CMP Walnut stock that now graces My Garand. Neither the operating mechanism nor the barrel and chamber were damaged. I have since fired over 100 rounds without a problem. THank you John Garand and Springfield Armory for designing and building such a fantastic and rugged firearm. View attachment 51784

View attachment 51785

View attachment 51786

View attachment 51787 View attachment 51788

View attachment 51789

View attachment 51790
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Diamondback

3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Whoa! Close call, DB, and I'm glad you were OK.

I also like the look of that new walnut stock. Not fun to lose the original (especially in the manner you did :eek:), but at least there is an decent replacement. And yes, thanks John Garand for such a great design!
  4. garydude

garydude Member

Great post Diamondback; how about a little information on the offending round? Was it military or reloaded? Hard to be certain but the primer looks crimped.

I haven't seen a case fail quite like that before.

Great job on the restore too!
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. Diamondback

Thank you all. It was a mil surp fmj in a clip from a bandolier I accquired somewhere. I have been shooting and reloading for over 50 yrs. and this is the first time I have seen a round fail in this manner. WHat is amazing is the fact that we forget just how much power is contained in such a small container. The stock was literally blown into 4 pieces.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Jeez. Sorry to see such a fine weapon go through this. So it was just an old round that was bad?
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

For the head and web to fracture it must have been a metal problem. A case that is over loaded will fail above the head and blow the primer pocket. When a Garand is over pressured in this manner they are often damaged or cracked at the very rear of the reciever. This is caused when the bolt is driven hard aganist the rear where the metal meets the stock.:eek: