Garand Loads using these components

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Celraysoda, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

By the persuasion of a fellow reloader, I was told to check with the masses of loads using these components for an M1 Garand.

IMR 4895
    150 Grain Hornady spire point Bullets
    LC / Greek Surplus brass
    CCI #34 Primers

Anybody have load data? Starting loads?

-Thanks
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I load 51, 51.5 and 52 grains of IMR 4064 with 150 SP Horn. They all function perfectly. Accuracy for me was best with 51.

My Lyman reloading manual lists IMR 4895. Starting load 46. to max load 51.5

Lyman manuals are really good you should get one Celray.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have data for those comonents using H 4895 not IMR
  4. Celraysoda

Celraysoda New Member

I really should get a manual for this one. I cast and reload 9mm but haven't attempted the 30-06 springfield yet. All my brass is ready for charging but I definitely want to research and read up on this one.

The picture of the exploded M1 scares me a bit.
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The Hornady twin manuals have separate loads for the Garand.

Remember that Speer states their military primers in both sizes should be used as Magnum primers.

The original M2 '06 ball loads with IMR-4895 had military cases, 150-152 gr bullets & from 49-52 grains of powder depending on the lot of powder. They ran at 42K psi.These loads were much milder than the origingal load the Garand was designed for-The M-1 load with a 173 grain bullet & 50Kpsi.
  6. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

I have a CMP Garand. I have settled on 46.0 gr H-4895 for it because that's what I have on hand. I have tried some IMR4895 also with the same load, and it shoots about the same in my rifle, using the Hornady 150 gr FMJBT with CCI military primers. I have the Hornady manual, which as previously mentioned has loads for the Garand. I contacted Hornady and inquired what criteria they used to develop these loads. The response was one of their tech guys shoots DCM matches, and he personally developed these loads as no chance of bending the operating rod, while still giving decent accuracy. They are about 5 gr less than the regular 30-06 data maximum. They would not give me any additional details. A $45 adjustable gas plug would eliminate the bending of the operating rod issue with any load. Not legal for the John Garand matches, but legal for DCM.