The Firearms Forum banner

Garand Shooters...

786 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DixieLandMan 
#1 ·
... I had a brainfart and left my bag of M1 clips and ammo at my range last week on my bench, well it rained over the weekend here while I was out of town and my enblocs got all corroded and rusty. So after several attempts to scrub the rust and corrosion off I devised a way to clean them up and came up with this..

Place them into a rotary tumbler like a thumbler with stainless steel media, water and a dash of lemishine, Sound familiar? Same way you wet tumble clean brass cases..

I ran them for a little over 2 hours and took them out, rinsed them clean and dried them in the hot sun. Then applied a coat of Sea Foam Deep Creep to prevent rust and corrosion. The result is perfectly smooth clips with deburred edges. These things now feed and eject from my M1s very smoothly. And best of all they no longer scratch and scuff the ammo.

Its a great way to even out the rough Parkerizing on aftermarket or off brand Enblocs. and the stainless steel pins do very well to smooth down the sharp edges.

Yall give it a try if you have access to a rotary wet tumbler.

I wish I had taken before pics..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny you should bring that up because I've been using my tumbler for other things besides bass also. My front door knob and dead bolt housing are brass and they had gotten very corroded and looked terrible. I put them in the tumbler with dawn dishwashing soap and critic acid powder - ran it two hours and they came out looking like brand new. After drying in the oven at low temp I sprayed them down with clear coat and they look great.

I've also used the tumbler to clean rust off some hand tools and it does a great job. Pliers, screw drivers, and some old allen wrenches that looked like they were scrap metal came out looking like new.

I live close to the Gulf Coast and rust is a big problem for anything metal. I'm constantly cleaning rust or corrosion off something. Wish I could put my whole drill press in the tumbler LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.