Garand

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 12:44:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to visit the new WW2 memorial in Pierre,SD. Soldiers,airman,sailors,ect make it up. They are bronze figures and all the equipment they have is genuine GI issue only bronzed. Hand genades and everything are bronze coated. Anyway one of them is saluting the Flag they are facing and holding his M1 Garand by the sling. I say to my brother I wonder what kind it is. So I got down on my hands and knees and look. Sure enough the elusive International Harvestor! I know it went to a great cause but they could have used my old Springfield and gave me the IH.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Xracer
    (9/29/01 9:56:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Garand
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can do worse than that warpig. During the '30's my dad worked on the M1 project with John Garand at the Springfield Armory (he started as a draftsman, later became a Jr. Tool Designer). He had a chance to get an M1 in the original .276 Pederson caliber....he didn't because he wasn't particularly interested in guns.

OUCH!!!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/29/01 8:39:30 pm)
    Crap, I sold my SA DCM Garand for $475 in '92 with a BUNCH of accessories and two bandos of M2 ball, along with a filled original 10 pocket, and two boxes of LC Match...to buy tires for a stock car.

You guys cry all you want, THAT was personal...(sniff)

The single dumbest thing I have done in my life since I was 12 years old.

(Hey, maybe that would be a good topic in itself!)
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/01 8:42:39 pm)
    My garand is a DCM one I got from a friend for $350.00. I am just now starting to collect accesories for it. I was checking out the winter triggers, they look dangerous but fun.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Xracer
    (9/30/01 8:56:10 am)
    Hey Polish......I hope they weren't those crappy Hoosiers! That would be TOO sad!

polishshooter
    (9/30/01 4:04:20 pm)
    My DCM was $165 delivered by the USPS...

Yeah, Hoosiers...It's been a while, I can't remember what name they went by, we had them as the track tire for our mini-stocks, we could use the hard or soft compound...I used the soft.

They actually weren't bad tires, as long as you could get them mounted to hold air...

Xracer
    (9/30/01 5:21:58 pm)
    Actually, I was kidding about Hoosiers being crappy. They (and Yokos) seem to be the tire of choice for seriously autocrossing Minis.....'course, not too many people make racing tires for 10" wheels.

polishshooter
    (9/30/01 8:05:38 pm)
    OK, it's coming back, the Hoosier Commanches were the hard compound, but I still can't remember what the ones I used were called...gonna have to dig up my old notes. 13"...

We were roundy-round, all our Minis were either Pintos/Bobcats, or Vegas underneath, even if most of the bodies were Mustangs, Grand-ams, chargers and the like. I ran a Pinto, and then a Bobcat after I totalled the Pinto, won Rookie of the year both for the series and for the Nascar Charger division at Winchester, our home track. (Faster than Bristol...in fact when Bristol went to the high banks they used Winchester as the model) We also raced at Salem, Mt. Lawn, and Columbus, Ohio that year.

Never missed a race my one full year, no matter what, but never raced since...

"Money is speed, how fast do you wanna go?"

When the next year rolled around, and it was going to take $2000 just to upgrade to the rule changes, before building another engine and fixing what I needed to fix to win, I "took a year off."

Three years later, when I thought I'd get back into it (still had the car,) they were spending more on ENGINES in my division than I had spent the entire
    season I raced in TOTAL.

Now they are all "Mini trucks." (Some of those Rangers out there are still the old Pintos underneath.)

So now I'm back into guns...in fact some of the money I used when I first got my CRFFL was from selling the last of my racing stuff...

It was fun, learned a HECKUVA lot, about racing as well as myself and my family, BUT it still was not worth the Garand!

Xracer
    (10/1/01 8:14:57 am)
    Sounds like fun....but, mine's a different kind of Mini (as in Mini-Cooper).

www.mini-sota.com/

polishshooter
    (10/1/01 7:47:45 pm)
    When I was a kid in the early 70s, a track in my home town ran mini-stocks, and they were all VW bugs or the mini-coupers.

Put on a neat show too.

Do you race them now? Sounds like you are/were a SCCA racer.

Xracer
    (10/1/01 10:04:01 pm)
    Yeah, I used to run the SCCA road courses in the northeast during the '60's and early 70's. I drove a Morgan +4, Mini-Cooper, Triumph Spitfire, and 'Vette on such tracks a Thompson, Lime Rock, Bryar, Watkins Glen, Bridgehampton.....even drove one year at Sebring.

Eventually, my photography business took all my "racing time" and I sold my cars......

A couple of years ago, I bought a nice Mini-Cooper in Canada and drove it home.....ah nostalgia!