GARATE ANITUA & CIA - Eibar(ESPANA)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by redheadedmeli, May 2, 2006.

1. redheadedmeli

redheadedmeli New Member

Hi.
    My name is Melissa and I have absolutely no knowledge about guns what so ever. :D So its going to be hard for me to know if Im being stupid or even to explain this gun to you.
    I inherited two guns from my great grandpa about a year ago, but I havent even looked at them until today. I tried to do a little research on my own but after sitting in front of the computer for 4 hours with no results, I came across this site a decided to give it a try!!
    The first one I have says "GARATE ANITUA & CIA - Eibar(ESPANA)" across the top of the barrel and "FOR 38 SPECIAL AND U.S.SERVICE CTG" on the left side of the barrel. It also has a "MADE IN SPAIN" printed on the left side of the gun near the handle. The wood handle its self looks like it is suppose to have a logo or something on it. In the middle of the handle there is a diamond with a screw in the middle of it. The gun itsself looks dirty and old. But it looks like it could definately be cleaned by someone who knew what they were doing. I dont see any other identifying marks or numbers.
    The second one I have seems newer but a little dirtier. I still think someone who knew what they were doing could clean it up pretty good. Right near the barrel it says "MADE IN U.S.A., THE HIGH STANDARD MFG.CO., NEWHAVEN.CONN.U.S.A, PATENTED, .22 CAL., LONG RIFLE" and then on top of the handle it says "HI-STANDARD, MODEL "B"". Its still got the magazine in it. Its currently empty but I do have bullets for both of the guns.
    So if you know anything about these guns, please let me know! I may be interested in selling them depending on how much they are worth. The more they are worth, the more I'll wanna sell them. heheh. Let me know. Thanks!!!
    :D
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

First welcome to the foum.
    I'll start with the Model B since I have one (Pictured)
    [​IMG]

65.000 of them were made from 1932 to 1942. If I had the ser# I could give you the year mfg.

Value of these High Standards is going up depending on condition value would be between $300 and $500.

Your other sound like a 38 spl spanish copy of one of the Smith and Wesson revolvers. A pic would help on that one
    They also made a copy of the Colt Police Positive in 38 Spl from 1927 to 1923
    but it would be marked GCA not CIA recheck that
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  3. redheadedmeli

redheadedmeli New Member

Ok. I made my boyfriend take pictures of them with his digi. So here they are.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!!
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

it's linked now
    That is early Model B because the takedown lever in on the left side.

The revolver is a S&W copy right down to the diamond on the grips.
    Not of great value $100-$150 on a good day

THe HS should bring at least $300.
    We have a buy sell trade area on here I'm sure you would get some interest in them if you put them for sale there.
    But wait to see if you get a couple other opinions here some one else may have a difffernt idea on price

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Welcome to the forum.

The Spanish copies of Smith & Wesson revolvers by companies in the Eibar region of Spain were generally cheap copies and have little collector interest. But as 22WRF said a photo would help with the identification.

The High Standard Model B has a lot more collector interest. There were about 65,000 made before the war. Approximmately 14,000 were made for the government during the war and several thousand more were made after the war. The real question is how many of the original 81,000 guns have survived and have survived in collectable condition. There are several varaitions over the many years of production and some variations are more scarce than others. If it is one of the more scarce varitions and if it is in excellent condition it could be worth significantly more than 22WRF said. If in poor condition and a common variation it could be worth less.
  6. redheadedmeli

redheadedmeli New Member

7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

My last post is updated