Gas operated 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/02 1:22:14 pm)
    Reply Gas operated 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is anyone out there up to speed on these.

I see some definite up sides but I've yet to see a free lunch.

What does the Doc think? And you 45.

Got my head smokin.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/9/02 3:57:58 pm)
    Reply Re: Gas operated 1911
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smokey.....just FYI.

Back at the turn of the last century, when Colt solicited designs from J.M. Browning for a large-bore military style auto, he submitted three designs. A drop-link, a cam operated, and a gas operated design.

Colt chose the drop-link design, which later became the M1911. A few years later, FN bought the rights to the cam operated one, which later became the M35 (HiPower).

As far as I know, nobody picked up on the gas operated one.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (7/9/02 5:58:33 pm)
    I recall reading an article in American Handgunner a while back about someone doing a gas conversion. I'll try to find that article and post here.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 8:23:30 am)
    Interesting, A little pricey, but I'd like to road test 1 myself.

Here's a link to a site www.ncggasgun.com/

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 7/10/02 9:26:07 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/10/02 9:23:47 am)
    WELL, THANK YOU ZIG!!!!!! NOW FEEL MY POCKETS MAY BE LIGHTER IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!! WHAT A PAL!!!!! LTS

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/10/02 10:26:51 pm)
    Re: Gas operated 1911

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/02 8:04:21 am)
    A "little" pricey? I can buy the whole gun for that price. I wish they would show how it works. It must, some how, be gas retarded cause a stock spring ain't going to slow the slide.

Maybe I'll build one.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/14/02 5:53:19 pm)
    I wish you would...Think you could sell 'em for 300?

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/15/02 7:57:20 am)
    Why? Where's the advantage over the recoil-operated system?

Seems to have worked pretty well for over 90 years.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/15/02 8:54:57 am)
    Re: Gas operated 1911
    Now Rick that sounds like a question my wife would ask

"what do you need that gun for, it looks just like all the others"
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/15/02 6:53:58 pm)
    Rick,

I wouldn't know for sure...The only gas operated system I ever used was an SKS, and found that the recoil was much less than it would have been without....Figure the pistol should be the same.

Chas
    (11/7/02 9:21:18 am)
    Reply NCG
    There's a good article about the gas operated fixed barrel NCG in the Dec issue of Combat Handguns. Better accuracy, less recoil, faster follow-up shots, and range of loads without changing the spring...looks pretty cool.

Chas

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/7/02 4:34:47 pm)
    Re: NCG
    I got that site in my favorites, I'll wait a bit for more reports
    before I would take the plunge though.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Hadaway
    (11/11/02 11:40:01 pm)
    Reply Gas Operated 1911
    The guy who is building the Gas Gun Conversions sent me one to get my opinion. It is supposed to drop in all 1911s, but it took us 8 different guns before we found one it would fit.
    A Navy firearms instructor, a SWAT firearms instructor and myself test fired the conversion. We each fired the converted 1911 and then we compared notes. We found that the muzzle flip was almost completely gone, but without the muzzle flip, the recoil was driven straight through the web of the hand and into the wrist. Basically, the felt recoil was increased and after a couple of mags, we didn't care to shoot it anymore. It was that uncomfortable.
    When I reported our opinion to the maker, he said we were the only ones who had that response. I told him to send another conversion because we wanted it to perform as he said it would. We have yet to receive another for T & E.

The concept is the same as the HK P7. It is gas delayed blowback, not gas operated.

Thanks,
    Lee Hadaway
    www.thearmsroom.com

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/12/02 7:04:56 am)
    Reply Re: Gas Operated 1911
    8 different guns?
    What may I ask, did the conversion finally fit?
    And what kind of ammo were you testing with?

Lee, thank's so much.
    We here at The Firearms Forum appreciate the update.

Thanks again,
    Rick

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/12/02 8:25:35 am)
    "When I reported our opinion to the maker, he said we were the only ones who had that response."

Yeah.....sorta like bringing your new car back to the dealer with a problem and getting that same reply. Two weeks later you get a recall notice in the mail.

Personally, the recoil on a 1911 doesn't bother me....even with the hottest loads. Sure, it's there, but using the "locked wrist, loose elbow" method, I find it very controllable.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/02 10:30:08 am)
    Hadaway: Thanks for the update. I was wondering if it fell under the catigory of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I checked your web site and it "looks good"

Smoky the appreciative

Hadaway
    (11/12/02 7:52:53 pm)
    Reply Re:Gas Operated 1911
    I think it finally fit a Springfield Armory, but I can't be sure. The problem with the fitting was that there is a bronze bushing on the gas cylinder of the conversion. This bushing slides into the frame recess for the standard recoil spring guide. This bushing was oversized. I called the manufactorer and asked about it, and he said I was welcome to fit the bushing to my frame. I felt uncomfortable altering his parts to fit my gun. I could have fit it, but chose not to. Besides, it was supposed to drop in.

We were shooting 230 gr ball ammo through it. I know that with compensaters, high velocity, light weight bullets are the most effective. We were looking at the conversion for K-9 officers, since most of their shooting is one handed (the other hand holds the leash). I asked if we should try lighter bullets, and the reply was that it was effective with all 45 ACP ammo.

Ya'll don't get me wrong, we wanted it to work. I love new ideas or seeing old designs made to work on new models. This one just fell way short.

Lee
    www.thearmsroom.com

Big R
    (12/4/02 7:58:22 pm)
    Reply Re: Re:Gas Operated 1911
    Maybe they need to make it a barrel and slide conversion with rotating bolt. That would make it a true gas operated i.e. Desert Eagle style. I know it sure tames full power 44 mag loads.

But that may be due to the gun weighing 4.5 pounds.

.22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy