1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

gas or recoil???? Old Sears and Roebuck Model 34

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Model 34, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Model 34

Model 34 New Member

I just started playing with an old .22 I got from my Grandfather.

I should have cleaned it up a bit before firing it but shortly after I began playing it stopped re-cocking itself.

It feeds and reloads but it will not reset the hammer.

Pop says to clean out the gas port, but having failing vision I can't really see if it has one.

So my question is, is the Sears and Roebuck Model 34 (583.3402) gas or reciol operated?

And what do I have to do to clean it whichever?

thnx for your time,
    Al
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If it's a 22 rimfire, it's blowback. Neither gas nor recoil. Both gas and recoil operated guns have some type of locking mechanism. Blowback guns have only the strength of the spring holding the bolt closed.
  3. Model 34

Model 34 New Member

Thanks for the reply...

I guess you can tell by my initial post that I am no gunsmith. lol

But I would like to get Grandpas old gun shooting again.

Other than just a thorough cleaning what are the most common causes of this problem?

And again it shoots, extracts and reloads well, but it does not re-cock itself.

thanks
    Al
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If someone has replaced the spring with one that is too strong, that might cause it, but you said it did work the other day, so that's probably not it.

Could be the action is so dirty that the part that is supposed to catch when the bolt come back is so crudded up that it slides off.

Could be the part that is supposed to catch is broken off.

I'm going to assume this is an automatic. But if either of my thought were true with an auto, it would cock, but would not stay cocked, and so it would go full-auto. That's not what you said was happening.

So, I'm stuck. Don't know what the problem is. Sorry.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Most semiautomatic guns with broken sears won't go full auto-at least not with any reliability. The gun is quite possibly just dirty.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess you're right. The hammer would ride the bolt down, instead of hanging until the bolt was shut and then falling. No bang-bang-bang.
  7. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

There is a strong possibility that gun was manufactured for Sears by High Standard.
    I just repaired a JC Higgins Model 31 .22 semi auto. (High Std) with the same issue. The part that fails connects to the bolt to reset the trigger and related linkage.
    Numerich gun parts number 361370, Disconnector Assembly.
    About $16.00
    Some minor filing, fitting and patience is required.........but it works and now shoots like new.
    When I removed the trigger assembly from mine the broken tab was lodged in a void behind the bolt. From what I found out this is a common problem.
    Check with Numerich for a schematic and verification of manufacturer first.
    www.e-gunparts.com