Gasoline Cans

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by todd51, Apr 24, 2012.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Seems some bureaucrat as managed to screw up the simple 5 gallon gas can.:mad: Last year I purchased a standby generator for use in power outages. I proceeded to purchase four 5 gallon gas cans (all different) that I could store the fuel in for those situations.

It used to be a simple task to take a gas can to the pump, take off the cap or spout and fill it with gas, come home take the cap off the spout, pop the vent cap and fill what ever machine needed fuel.

I know that at times I may be a sandwich short of a picnic but these new cans are driving me up the freaking wall. I find I have to read and re-read the instructions just to get the danged spout to work and then they don't work worth a crap.:confused: I rotate the cans and empty them in my truck when they get so old. Well I try to empty them in the truck but it seems that must not be permitted any more as these confounded spouts won't let you do that.:eek: I have finally resulted to tearing them apart and disabling as much of the crap they have put in them that prevents me from getting the darned fuel out and into a machine.:( But they don't vent worth a crap.

It is not healthy for an old fart to be cussing a gas can but that is what happens.:eek: Does anyone know a source of reasonably priced gas cans that are like gas cans used to be and simply work?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There is no such thing, anymore. California (everyone say "thank you, California) came up with some stupid can requirement - CARB - to prevent any gasoline vapor from getting out of the can into the air. Since it costs more to make two kinds - CA compliant and non-CA compliant, the can makers stopped making non-CA compliant. (everybody say "thank you, California")

All of my gas cans are surplus Jerry cans, bought from Sportsmans Guide. They still have them, although they are no longer 9 dollars.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-style-jerry-can-spout.aspx?a=904142
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

By the way. The best way to get the gas out of the can is to ignore the damn nozzle. Take the cap completely off and use a siphon hose. That will get all but, maybe, the last half gallon. For that you use a big funnel with a long spout, stuck down the filler neck of your gas tank.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Alpo. Little things like that just irritate the crap out of me any more.

Just ordered some from SG.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

I hate these cans, gets gas all over the place when I try to fill my bike up , stupid kaliforniastan
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Todd...Cant get the dang spouts into anything and when you do,
    they suck up air and a to even put a couple of gallons in something takes forever!
    To add a gallon or so into my four wheeler seems to take a while and usually spill
    gas all over the top!
    For the Chain saws, I use the 2 gallon jugs and the dang spouts on them aint worth
    two hoots. If you get them to work, cant mess with them. Hard to get the caps/spouts
    back on and the extension is always falling off. I reckon they made 'em for a freak'in
    pansy to use! (Gott'a treat then like they'll break or something....imagine that.)
  7. bobski

bobski Former Guest

old olive oil cans.:cool:
  8. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Lol, sure glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels this way about these new spouts, what a pos. Its a runnin joke between my brother and I how completely rediculous they are. The guy who designed them must have never had to run a piece of equipment in his life. I wonder if anyone has ever done a study about how much fuel is dumped out on the ground because of them. I assure you, they have done nothing but damage the environment they were meant to save. I use Alpo's method, long funnel and trash the spout.

okie
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I just punch a hole in the plastic ones, and put a stick in the hole, when not in use. Open the spout, pull the stick out, and go for it. Oh yeah, I got a long funnel too!
  10. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

West Marine has diesel can's that work great for gas also
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep.
  12. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

The Obomba admin at its finest.
    Stupid sums it up quite nicely in my opinion.

13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I know it feels good to blame him for everything, but this started long before he took office.
  14. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

I haven't baught a new can since. Allways snap up the older cans at garage sales.
  15. gad1111

gad1111 Member

What agedhunter said, hit garage sales

Greg