GATES lifts ban . . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Feb 26, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday said he was lifting the ban against media photos of soldiers' coffins returning to the U.S. and will instead leave the decision up to families.

Gates told reporters earlier this month that he was reviewing the policy and that if the needs of the families could be met, and the privacy concerns could be addressed, he favored honoring fallen troops as much as possible.

I am all for this, as everyone should be reminded that our brave men and women in our armed services often serve and yield the last full measure of devotion to our nation. That's MY 2ยข!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Yes, I see your point, however I believe the idea behind keeping these images private was to prevent their use in a political way to undermine the US from winning the conflicts it is currently engaged in.

It's hard doing anything these days without have unintended consequences. Ah, mabe that's not anything new. Just a thought and because of inflation, that'll cost ya 4 cents.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I understand the point. But along that vein, can not most any photo have a potential use as a undermining tool? We shouldn't be cowered into not doing what is right, simply because someone might find a way to use it for nefarous means. Heck, some whacko group even tried to use a FUNERAL for a 19 year-old service member to stage some kind of rally. Well, actually, they didn't even get to 'try', cause they kinda got run off. I guess we didn't respect 'their' first amendment interpetations, and they wisely withdrew.
  4. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

This is my first post ever on the forum, and this thread caught my eye in particular because I have a son who just finished serving in the Army and a daughter and son-in-law currently in Iraq. I don't know how I would feel if I lost any of them...whether I would want their flag-draped homecoming to be broadcast or not. But I truly appreciate Defense Secretary Gates' actions in putting that decision back in the hands of the individual families where it belongs. We have enough decisions made for us by the gov't...certainly something this personal and sacred should be kept as such.

God bless the fallen for their ultimate sacrifice. They deserve to be recognized and remembered.
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Good points from all.... God bless our service men and women. Those that have fallen and those that put their life on the line. We wouldn't be the country we are with out you!!!!
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Welcome to the forum 4evr. I agree with you 100%. The families are the only ones to make that decision.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

I'm torn on this, I think that it should rest in the hands of the families, but by the same token I would hate for some group like Code Pink or the nut cases with Westboro Baptist Church to use the image of a fallen hero to further their sick cause. :(

Art
  8. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Thanks for the welcome, Running! Lots here to help me live up to my nickname! :)
  9. SaddleSarge

SaddleSarge New Member

I agree. There is nothing so sacred as one's family, their desires, and their relationship with the Almighty. It is not a time for anyone's intrusion except by the family's admission.