Gay Jesus play in TX.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by cycloneman, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Crazy

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...cle/plays-gay-jesus-roils-texas-town/19415997

(March 26) -- At one Texas university this weekend before Easter, the apostles are all gay, Jesus is officiating at a same-sex wedding and the kiss he shares with Judas is raising eyebrows.

Those adaptations to the life and times of Christ are just part of Terrence McNally's incendiary 1998 stage play "Corpus Christi," which is being performed in an abbreviated version at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. The play details the troubled high school years of a thinly veiled Jesus figure named Joshua, who confronts a hostile environment because of his homosexuality.

As a gay teen himself, McNally grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas, in the 1940s and '50s.

Courtesy Tarleton State University
    The controversial stage play "Corpus Christi" is showing at Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. "As a public university, we are legally bound to allow the student production to go forward," said University President F. Dominic Dottavio.
    "Stephenville is a very conservative, very religious town," Liza Benedict, associate vice president at the university, told AOL News. "And let's just say we've gotten numerous complaints."

One of those in the community who is upset with the university is David Harris, pastor of the Hillcrest Church of Christ. "It infuriates me that somebody would be given a platform to be able to demean and degrade the son of God," Harris told Fox News. "I'm angry about it, and every Christian should be."

"When people call to complain, I try to make it vitally clear that this is a First Amendment issue," Benedict said. "It's about academic freedom. The university didn't choose to put on this play. That was the students' decision."

"Corpus Christi" was chosen by John Otte as the final project for his advanced directing class. "I chose this play to direct and produce because I am a Christian," Otte said in a written statement, "and I believe that this play can bring people together in a story of acceptance and realization of the alienation we in the gay community feel from most of our churches."

According to Benedict, the performance date a week before Easter is merely coincidental. It was scheduled more than a year in advance, well before students had enrolled in the class, let along selected what play they might direct for a final project.

"It is being said often that this play is a direct attack on Christians -- their faith and their deity," Otte said. "It simply is not true. He is my savior as well, and I was raised in an extremely faithful and religious home."

In the play, the fabled Judas kiss -- in which Judas Iscariot kisses Christ, thereby revealing his identity to Roman soldiers -- is re-envisioned as a gay kiss, devoid of betrayal. Such artistic liberties have caused an uproar in Stephenville, prompting the university to close the performance to the public and add extra police security to the theater.

Due to safety concerns, the university is limiting attendance to the show to students and members of their families, Benedict said, and the play has been rescheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday.

F. Dominic Dottavio, president of Tarleton State University, said in a statement that while he personally finds "no artistic or redeeming quality in the work," the school has little choice but to let the show go on.

"As a public university, we are legally bound to allow the student production to go forward," Dottavio's statement read.

When McNally's play was first performed in 1998 in New York, the playwright received numerous death threats, and the Manhattan Theater Company, where the play opened, drew thousands of protesters. After the play's debut in London, a Muslim group upset at the portrayal of Jesus, whom the religion views as a prophet, issued a fatwa, or decree, against McNally that called for his death.
  2. petesusn

petesusn New Member

"As a public university, we are legally bound to allow the student production to go forward,"

Yea, as long as it's gay liberal. Try something straight and conservative and they will come up with all kinds of reasons not to deal with it.
  3. navis128

navis128 New Member

"they" really have to make up "their" minds and decide how they want to portray My Savior.

Not long ago "they" weren't "they" saying that Jesus had "Biblical" knowledge of Mary Magdelene and that the holly graile was actually a blood line daughter or some line like that?

Those poor homosexual boys (and girls), if they'd just take the time to educate themselves on what they think they know they're talking about and read the "instruction book for our survival during our visit here", I'll bet they'd come across a couple of lines about that particular behavior...along with gambling :)

LAME O's...We're Christian, We're Here, We don't wanna be rude, but GET OVER IT!!
  4. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Kind of like Ann Coulter being forced off the Ottowa Campus this past week.
  5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

They have been, "Given over to their reprobate minds."
  6. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Well, one day they're going to be standing in front of Jesus. Ohhh boy, I do believe they may screwed.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Not to stray from the topic but Ottawa is in Canada and the universities there are not governed the same as the US institutions. We have a First Ammendment that gives the right to offer opinions and speech within our borders even if those words are unpopular. I don't know much about Canadian law or constitution but it is the way it is here.

I do not necessarily care for the description of the play but we can not pick and choose what speech is permissable or it will lead to speech restrictions that are goverment mandated. The responsibility that comes with freedom can be hard pill to swallow sometimes.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  8. Willie

Willie Active Member

Unbelievable. I would be so proud if I had a child there---NOT!. I would pull my child from that school so fast, or if not my child at least my checkbook. My parents believed 35 years ago that college would ruin me so for me it was not an option. I'm starting to think maybe they were right. I am mad that this could happen in Texas of all places. :mad:
  9. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Used to be, and not that long ago, if someone poked his thumb in your eye, you were expected to punch him in the nose. Now you can't even make verbal complaints.
  10. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Jacksonco, Ann was invited to speak but the rabble rousers only allow one point of view to be presented. That doesn't speak well for the debate of ideas on that campus. She was able to speak in other venues however with no problem. Looks like a set up to me with the University Administration leading the lynch mob.

But Ann can speak for herself. Her latest column on her visit to the University of Ottawa: http://www.anncoulter.com/
  11. wpage

wpage New Member

Typical Homo Anti Christ Holy Easter Crap...
  12. lentz

lentz Former Guest

Used to be,queers went to jail......now I can go to jail for calling him one!!

Times are achanging...for the worst
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Truer words were never spake, Pete -

But the way you put it caused me to spit coffee - -

But consider this, folks.
    A Danish cartoonist drew some cartoons of Muhamid, such as:
    danish005.jpg

There were widespread DEATH THREATS against him, to the point that he has constant protection to keep him alive.

Now, consider the insult of that cartoon against Islam compared to the insult of a gay Jesus against Christianity.

Are the producers of this play living in fear for their lives?

Of course not! We are MAD, we are OUTRAGED, but no one is even thinking about KILLING them -

Now, which is REALLY a 'religion of peace', Christianity or Islam??
  14. lentz

lentz Former Guest

I believe you said it all!!!
  15. obxned

obxned New Member

I sure hope the tax-paying citizens of Texas know how to correct this outrage at Tarleton State University. Otherwise we may expect a Nativity play at Christmas with the shepards being a little too freindly with the sheep.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  16. topper

topper New Member

I gotta wonder what our lord Jesus would think of this travesty of his name and legend. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth at the ressurection. Many will be sorry, but it will be too late. "Those who deny me, I will deny them before the father, they are NOT mine" sayeth the lord Jesus.
  17. 45nut

45nut New Member

If only that were the only thing being screwed. Our country is going right down the crapper with stuff like this. Do you think George Washington would have let some homo play about JESUS CHRIST go unchallenged? I don't think so.