gdmoody oops!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Sep 12, 2009.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thanks for the welcome.i'm new to reloading & I learned something today.never try to remove a reverse installed primer with a pick.after the first one,my wife was already complaining of the noise.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ouch...... My method for dealing with any primer that is not seated properly is to shoot it with WD40, let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then toss it in the scrap brass. I'd much rather waste a .05c primer and the case than to blow something up.

Make sure you get a good shot of WD into the cup ; On the 25 cases that i tested, with federal primers, zero fired after a 10 min soak. These were some pre-primed cases that had mouth sealant on them, i had to figure out a way to salvage the case, since my expander die kept clogging after every round. I only deprimed after the primer had been struck. I'm not advising this; I would like others thoughts as to the safety and logic or lack thereof on the subject of depriming a struck and WD'd primer.
    ( granted, the one's that i struck were installed correctly, but it did provide a fair amount of proof IMO that WD will kill a primer )
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  3. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

thanks for the info wooleyworm.esp. the wd40 trick you are right it works
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yeow - that is not the best way to remove the primers.

woolleyworm's method works sooooo much better. Just be careful with everything when reloading......I have a few stories that I won't tell online.:D:D:;)
  5. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Of course its always ‘better to be safe than sorry’. One might think a single primer going off isnt going to hurt you (if you have enough gray matter to wear eye protection anyway) but. . .

I had to share an experience from probably 10 yrs ago, hope its not too far off topic or boring. Went to a friend and fellow handloader’s house for a cookout (a politically correct way of telling your wife you are going to down a few cold ones with the boys?). After putting down a few my host brought a handprimer and a couple of trays of brass out on the patio, leaned back in a patio chair and began pumping primers into his project, as we tried keep up in our contest to out BS each other (if I remember right he was preping .357 mag brass, primers with a fairly loud bark).

I’m not sure how he did it as I was also tending the BBQ pit, but somehow he managed to set a primer off. The bang was startling enough that everyone reached into their waistbands (all four of us were law enforcement), one man actually drew.

The explosion scared my host badly enough he fell or pushed backwards out of his chair (broke the chair), smashed his head against the corner of a table that happened to be behind him, and twisted his ankle trying to kick himself clear of the mess of broken furniture ect he had created. It quickly turned from a ‘little get together with the boys’ to an Oscar worthy performance of the Keystone Cops (if anyone else remembers them!) Thank God he had a privacy fence!

A after a rush trip to the ER for our host (that probably liked to something out of the anti-christ version of Adam-12), our host received 30 or so sutures, a catscan, more x-rays than God could count, then was sentenced to 12 hours in the ‘Observation Ward’ to watch for any signs of brain injury (yeah I’m not even going to go there, pre-exsisting condition???) Not to mention whatever his wife did to him when she saw her patio, never had the nerve to ask. . .

I did have the snap to pull the BBQ meat off the pit before we left, I presume his dog enjoyed 2 racks of prime beef ribs.

If you have ever worked on cars ect, a primer can be like a spark plug wire - it wont hurt you, but might make you hurt yourself!

BTW! A year or so later his sig other actually allowed us back into their home! Guards us much closer now, but oh well!

Miles
  6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I decapped a hundred rounds of 44 magnum once and I can't remember why but I do remember how, just poked them out with a decap die. No drama, no explosions.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I like the oil idea...