Geha prison guard gun??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dartswinger, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

I came up with one of these (long and full stocked) about a year or so ago so I pretty much know what it is. First I checked to Feds regs and they require 18" bbl. this is 19" and 26" OAL, this is 30" so should be legal?! It's a Geha, right? Chamber guage measures 2 5/8". The guy I got it from claims his uncle or some such brought it home from WWII and that it was a German prison guards gun, I so don't believe that; but who knows, any comments?

Attached Files:

2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I have seen Mauser 98s converted to 20 gauge shotguns marked Geha, but it was my understanding they were just cheap shotguns for those who could not afford better. They don't seem well suited to prison use either - a sawed off side-by-side would be more formidable than that, and quicker to reload as well. That's just my $.02, though - I lack any specialized knowledge of these guns
  3. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Terrible firearm for use in prisons - I should know.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Stories are nice, and that sounds like a good one, probably impossible to prove or disprove unless it is marked "Germany" or "Made in Germany" in which case it was commercially imported and not brought back by anyone.

Those guns were one of a number of exports of a post-WWI Germany awash in Mauser rifles and desperate for hard currency. They actually were not bad guns except that in that era the bolt action shotgun was an idea whose time had not yet arrived.

To make the conversion, the front locking lugs were removed and the bolt modified to support the head of a shotshell. The only lock was the Mauser safety lug on the bottom rear of the bolt, which was perfectly adequate for shotgun pressures.

Jim
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

All were made in 2 3/4 inch chambers ( IAW de Hass ), made in 12 gauge, 16 gauge and a lessor amount in 20 gauge. The Geha was the most common however it has been reported that guns marked GECO, Genschow and Remo marked guns are out there. Nice story abut the prison guards but that is all it is. Most of these were imported to the US and sold at discount. A lot of the farmers used them as a farm shotgun. I remember our neighbor had one he kept in the barn.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

It is odd that somebody sawed off the barrel and the stock, and they seem to have made a pretty neat job of it - the "pistol grip" even looks checkered. That gun was somebodies project, but who can say who or what for?
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The OP stated he modified it, I would guess for Zombie hunting
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

My guess is that this is a "duffle bag cut." GIs who smuggled home rifles and shotguns from WWII often cut off the stock at the pistol grip to make it fit in a duffle bag. It was probably cleaned up and checkered after it was brought home. Many kept the cut off pieces and glued them back together after they returned home.
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Could be, don't know, but the OP did post that he received it about a year ago , " full stocked and long barrel ".
  10. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Yes, I did not read the original post adequately.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most of the "duffle cuts" were on K.98k rifles and were made under the lower band. That way, the stock and barrelled action separately could fit into the duffle bag. For obvious reasons, the GI was usually limited to what would fit in the duffle bag, so in spite of fanciful stories, it was not possible to drag home dozens of rifles (or field guns, Tiger tanks, Goering's whole arms collection, etc.).

In theory, the GI was supposed to have kept or been re-issued his whole clothing issue and it would be in the duffle bag, leaving little room for souvenirs. In reality....

Jim
  12. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Geeze, how things get screwed up when people don't READ! The OP (me) did not post he received it a year ago full stocked and long barrel, darn it; read what I said. I said I had another one of these about a year ago etc. etc. which is why I recognized what it was. The picture is how I got it!! A comment was made that these wouldn't be used as something much better and more suitable was available. Yeah, sure but the US has used that damn plastic pop gun for over 50 yrs. (I know, I carried one in another life) and they even dropped a proven man stopper for a puny 9mm, what; just to fit in with NATO. The grunt has no choice, he uses what he is given; those who make the choices usually do so based on whole lots of money!!!!
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Instead of blowing up, perhaps you should read how you worded your post. I am not a master of the Kings English, but you my friend need to make clear what you are typing. Since I made my original reply in anger, I came back to edit it.. Dartswinger, my apologies if your posting was so ambiguous that I misunderstood it. I thought you were asking about the pre modified shotgun, which had the remote possibility of seeing such use. I could not grasp the concept that you were asking such a question in reference to the Americanized zombie killer. My apologies to misunderstanding your unclear post.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  14. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Gee, it seems no one had any problem with my "ambiguous" post until you screwed it up, read it again; neither be I a master of English but in my humble country boy wording the meaning was clear to all but you! I came accross an unusual old firearm here that I thought others would find as neat as I and simply wished to share it and perhaps get some opinions. The comment about the 'duffle bag' cut actually seems possible and would somewhat jive with the story I was given, even if somewhat embilished.
    As for your "americanized zombie killer" remark, that sir; is just being an ass! If you can't comprehend what you read, that's your problem!
  15. bobski

bobski Former Guest

well, that bridge is certainly burnt.