Gem scale?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CampingJosh, Mar 11, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Anyone use a gem scale for reloading?

I'm slowly purchasing stuff to start reloading (reading the Hornady manual now), and one of the local guys I've talked to uses this gem scale. It weighs up to 308.6 grains, and it is accurate to 0.02 grains. It's priced relatively closely to reloading scales.

Any opinions?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My opinion is that yes, it will work and the tolerances are acceptable; BUT :

There is one major characteristic of scales made for reloading; they default to grains. This is a very very good reason to stick with scales designed for reloading. I've seen some RCBS 750's going for decent prices here lately and some 10-10's also.

My advice, stick with a purpose designed scale and you'll be better off in the long run.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CampingJosh:

The accuracy of the "GEM" scale is an order of magnitude more than you will ever really need. Making up charges that are within plus or minus a couple of tenths of a grain is more than accurate enough for even bench rest shooters. It turns out that all the other variables of the power, the primer, the cartridge and the gun totally swamp out the change in velocity caused by errors in the charge weight less than that. John Barsness of Handloader Magazine has been on a recent campaign to quell the myth that every load has to be measured to the tenth of a grain.

Today there are many digital scales that easily do the job, in addition to balance scales that work just fine but are a bit tedious to use and slow to use, but usable and cheap. My Dillon digital scale that is their first version works fine as I assure by checking it regularly with Lyman test weights. There are others available today that work just as well.

LDBennett
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I consider this resolved. :)