Genealogists Say Obama, Sen.-Elect Brown Related

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by questor, Jan 29, 2010.

1. questor

questor New Member

AP

- January 29, 2010
    Genealogists Say Obama, Sen.-Elect Brown Related

Genealogists said Friday the Democratic president and the newly elected Massachusetts senator, Scott Brown, are 10th cousins.

It was bad enough that President Obama lost his filibuster-proof margin in the U.S. Senate to a Republican. Now it turns out he also lost it to a relative.

Genealogists said Friday the Democratic president and the newly elected Massachusetts senator, Scott Brown, are 10th cousins.

The New England Historic Genealogical Society said Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, and Brown's mother, Judith Ann Rugg, both descend from Richard Singletary of Haverhill, Mass.

He died in 1687 at, for the time, the unusually old age of 102.

"I think it's a really interesting thing, where you have the separation between a Democrat and a Republican, but you have one link," said David Allen Lambert, the society genealogist who co-discovered the connection with colleague Chris Child.

Lambert said the work was aided by prior research about Obama, as well as Brown's cooperation with the society when researchers first contacted him in December.

"I'm glad to be in such distinguished company," Brown said of the findings.

In 2008, the society discovered that Obama is related to seven prior presidents, including George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush, Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Lyndon Johnson, Harry S. Truman and James Madison. They also learned he was related to actor Brad Pitt.

Brown, a once little-known state senator, jolted the national political landscape by capturing the Senate seat held for nearly a half-century by late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy.

The genealogical chart shows that Obama descends from Richard's eldest son, Jonathan Singletary. He later changed his surname to Dunham. Brown, meanwhile, descends from Jonathan's brother, Nathaniel Singletary.

Also on Friday, George Stephanopoulos, co-anchor of ABC News' "Good Morning America" learned he was likely related to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Stephanopoulos underwent DNA testing to promote "Faces of America With Henry Louis Gates Jr.," a four-part series on family histories premiering Feb. 10 on PBS.

Gates told him during Friday's "GMA" show that he's "very likely a maternal cousin with Hillary Clinton."

"Sorry, Secretary Clinton," Stephanopoulos said. "I did not set this up."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/29/genealogists-say-obama-sen-elect-brown-related/
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Some people will claim kin to anyone. :D
  3. red14

red14 Active Member

Obamalamadingdong is related to 7 former presidents? Hmmm, adds a little more clarity to why/how he (the 'Chosen One') was elected. That hubbub about, the 'New World Order', sure gets more creedence.

I believe more, and more, every day.
  4. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Heck, depending on your beliefs we could all be related.
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We are, actually -
    And not just because of belief in Adam and Eve -
    All human beings are inter-fertile.
    That only happens through direct relation -
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Ooooobaaaaama is more closely related to a monkey
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Monkey's A$$ is more like it

I guarendamtee you one thing. He aint got no relation to me. I dont care what anybody says.
  8. Artemus

Artemus New Member

If you look back far enough you will find out we are all related.Someone was a naughty girl.lol
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Can of worms we shouldn't open.
  10. trapperdick

trapperdick New Member

If I was Brown I'd shoot myself...............