Geneology and tracking your roots.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetwood1976, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I have a distant cousin that is on a mission to trace her geneology and it is kind of rubbing off on me. I have been getting the scoop from grandma on our side and she had this pic. the littlist guy on the fence is my great grandfather and the guy with the hat my great great and the dude with the watch chain my great great great. this pic was taken in 1893 in front of the house my dads nephew lives in now. we found a platbook document from 1810 with my oldest traceable ancestor that we believe was the first to settle in indiana with 60 acres west of plainville that was then called stumptown. that was 6 years before Indiana was a state. The area of our family farm had a school with our family name and the levee is named after my great great grandfather. It's kind of cool to know that for the last 200 years your family has been in the same place. my grandmas house's living room is actually a log cabin and the rest of the house was built around it later on.

Attached Files:

2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Very cool, my aunt has our family traced back very far. At least as far back as Huncote, England hense Honeycutt
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great photo. My wife is from Jeffersonville. Good luck with your search. My sister and I tried to do the same. Not enough information. I guess that's our fault.
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I say go for it.
    It is alot of fun, my wife has my side going back to the 1600 hundreds. you will find all kinds of cool stuff.
    Like i found out my 8th cousin was Wld Bill Hickok.:cool: and i have a great great great grandfather who was named. ready for this. Nimrod:eek:
    so ya go for it, it's a hoot.:)
  5. Plinked

Plinked Member

Cool family photo and history.
    I have mine going back to 1591
    My Great Great Great Great Great Great grandfather emigrated from Germany to Maine in 1754, my father was the first generation born outside of that State
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

we have records to when we settled Indiana and suposedly immigrated from wales (england). I would like to trace back to the old country. I think it is cool that we were here as early as 1810. Thats forts and Indian days. my cousin that lives in that house has a civil war springfield musket thats been handed down. Makes you wonder if one of my ancestors was in the civil war. It is just cool to deer hunt on that property and know that people in that picture took game and fished in the same river as I do and farmed the same ground etc.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Bryant probably started out as O'Bryan, then got changed here in America. Scotch Irish decendents here. I'm not sure how far back the family has been traced. We had it worked out to Irland, and Scotland, but then discovered that some information we had received from the Mormons was falty, so we've had to start over. Coach Bear Bryant, from, Fordyce Arkansas is one of my kin folk. Fleetwood, I know how you feel about that old gun. My Great, Great Grandfather did serve in the Confederate Army. There is still a picture of him in uniform over the mantle at the old home place in Ringgold, LA. Dad once owned his musket, and saber, along with some other stuff, but it was all lost in a break in 30 years ago. Good luck, and good hunting to all of you looking into your past!
  8. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

Your cousin is in for one of the most rewarding and frustrating times of her life. It took me five years of searching to find the necessary information to prove that I was part Cherokee. I have spent over fifteen years off and on doint the research. In the process I learned that I had an ancestor on the Mayflower. I had an ancestor who crossed the Delaware river with General George Washington. General J.E.B. of Confederat Cavalry fame was a relative.
    My ancestry as I have found is Irish, Scot, English, French, Prussian, Huron, Wyandott and Cherokee. I am 100% Native American and proud of it. What a wonderous voyage you are embarking upon. It is almost as addictive as guns and shooting.
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I did a trace on some rather interesting fellows and here is what i found.

Attached Files:

• 80.jpg
      80.jpg
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
  10. geds

geds New Member

And I thought Jefferson was smart enough and evolved enough to spell his own name! :rolleyes:
  11. geds

geds New Member

Have fun with ancestry research - I am enjoying piddling with mine. Like others have said, you'll discover some interesting things - and some you might rather not have found out about!
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

All I know is that part of my family came here from Palermo, Sicily in the 1920's, other part of my family came here from Greece.

Grandpa on Sicilian side was in the Navy in WWII and Korea. Grandpa on Greek side operated a liquor store and worked at a bank.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Some on my Moms side have done some research, and as far back as I've been made aware of, I'm related to William Dawes.

Dad?

He was from Texas. :D
  14. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I live on land that has been in the family since 1832. One of my ancestors was a Capt in militia fighting the RedSticks and was wounded at the Battle of Itchawaynochawy Creek in present day Terrell County Ga. A good way to trace lineage is www.ancestry.com They give hints that will help you find people in your family
  15. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    My great,great,great,great,great,great,great,great grandfather was william Bradford who came across on the mayflower. My great,great,great,great,grandfather was James Monroe patriot,and eventual president of the united states. I trace my roots back to the beginning of our country. I'm a very proud American and will die for her and to protect the citizens of this great nation.