Geo. Custer biography?

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by mrkirker, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Have just finished reading ‘To Appomattox’ by Burke Davis (IBSN 0-915992-17-5) and find Geo. Custer’s behavior during the final days of the conflict abominable.

Is there a factual biography on this man available that anyone would care to recommend? I don’t want the ‘glossed over’ “Boy’s Life – American Hero” version, because I don’t that that rings true. (I understand that his widow was able to 'spin' his career into a more favorable light, and I seek to avoid books of that genre.)
    Thank you, for your recommendation.
    Johnny
  2. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I read one a couple of times. It mixes facts with action, which makes for good reading. "Custer: Cavalier in Buckskin" by Robert M. Utley, can be found on Amazon and I imagine other places as well. You might like this one. It doesn't give the usual "American hero" stuff. More warts and all kind of writing, which I like. It's available in Hard or soft cover. TJ
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Seems to me, and I am no expert, Custer pushed his luck too far and his men paid the price.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Right you are, Tranter. I would venture a guess that he was reckless in the care of his men during the American Civil War, as well.

From facts that I've gleaned from several sources, Custer had aspirations for our nation’s highest office, and a stunning victory in the ‘war of the time’ would have garnered a great deal of favorable publicity for the 'Boy General' that would have furthered his efforts toward advancing his ambition. I would love to know exactly what he was thinking on that morning, prior to the ‘eye-opening’ discovery.

Thanks Teejay, I'll try and locate a copy.
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    He was thinking it was going to be a walk in the park,
    He was confident of his superiority, and ignorant of the 1,800 really angry
    warriors.
    He definitely had political aspirations.
  6. wabryan1

wabryan1 New Member

Yeah. I read a great book about the Custer battle written by the Indians. They say he was killed right off the bat. Then everything kinda went down hill from there. Now, the dead peole detectives are finding evidence saying the same thing.
    If you're interested, email me and I'll find the book and give you the name of it.
  7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I think I have read that one too, Cant remeber the name though. I'll see if I can look it up. I picked mine up in the Library of my highschool,.
  8. One I enjoyed was written in 1984 by Evan S. Connell and is entitled Son of the Morning Star. It's still in print and available from Amazon. This book is not a complete biography of Custer, but instead focuses on the Battle of the Little Big Horn and what led up to it. It does contain quite a lot of material on Custer's life prior to that battle, however, and the author doesn't gloss over much of anything. It essentially illustrates how Custer's arrogance and pride ended up getting him and his command killed.
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Lil Georgie C was a "Hot Dog", way back even during the civil war.

His unsatiably thirst for fame & glory got not only his dumb arse kilt...:rolleyes:

But a bunch of fine men under his command too.

Don't get me going on that "Dumb Yankee"

Moral of the Battle at LBH.....

When you only got single shot rifles...:eek:

Don't piss off a bunch of guys with repeating rifles.... less ya want to die, moron. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

10. It also helps not to take on a force many times your own size, on ground with no cover, and where there is no "back door." Custer was a fool, Al, an arrogant, medal-hunting idiot looking for fame and glory at the expense of the men he commanded. He reminds me of a few LT's I once encountered while on a tour of beautiful South East Asia at the expense of Uncle Sam. ;)
  11. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Best book I ever read on Custer was "Son of the Morning Star" and it took the author years and years to research. The book is just as good as "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee."
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

mrkirker ""Have just finished reading ‘To Appomattox’ by Burke Davis (IBSN 0-915992-17-5) and find Geo. Custer’s behavior during the final days of the conflict abominable.""

I am not familiar with that encounter, can you paraphrase it for me?
  13. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Custer's attitude, words, and actions during an encounter with Confederate Officers carrying a flag of truce (just prior to the actual surrender), demanding that they surrender to 'him' personally before allowing their passing with their documents for General Grant. An officer, he was. However, not a gentleman.

His 'grandstanding/showboating' during the Grand Review in D.C.
  14. red14

red14 Active Member

Thank you , sir.

Discourteous, disrespectful, (to both sides) and totally without honor. Lack of discipline is always ugly, and unworthy of an officer, and especially for a leader.
  15. Thomas G

Thomas G New Member

Seems strange that most of Custers detractors come from southern states. He was arrogant,vainglorious,and a bit boastful, but he was also one hell of a scrapper and a leader that never asked of his men that which he wouldn't do himself. Give the devil his due. That little misshap on the Greasey Grass was due to the fact that every previous encounter he had with Indians, they ran. This time they didn't, also, his math skills seem to have abandoned him on that particular morning.