Geocaching, who does it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Recently got into it and even got something out of it:D...while giving something up.:eek:

I might get into it, just find an old ammo can or water tight container and find some stuff and a couple geocoins.

2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Upstate NY
    My brother and his wife are big-time fans of geocaching. I have not tried it yet.

3. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    East TN
    Yeah, the wife and I go out once in a while although we've been negligent as of late. I built a removable, adjustable PC stand for the Jeep. We run DeLorme TOPO program on a Dell laptop and look for the caches way out. We've done a few in close but we figure if it "ain't worth a Jeep ride" it is not worth looking for.:D
    We really need to get a hand held device to supplement the PC as I just about broke my neck trying to follow a non established trail getting to a set of coordinates.:rolleyes:
    oldogy

4. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep, I do it fairly often. Its fun and gets you out in remote areas and historic areas.

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Akron, Ohio
    Fortunately Geo's aren't very fast and not that hard to cach.:D

6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

May 10, 2004
    You don't see many GEO's on the road anymore they must be cached :eek:

7. Ya I go out to find them myself. I have a little over 600 finds and about 25 hides. It can be a lot of fun! My kids really like getting out there and finding caches.

8. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Johnstown PA
    Oh.... I get it! You want me to use google. All I know is that, if you gave me a bucket of cache I still wouldn't take a geo.

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    I thought Chevy discontinued the Geo.

10. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Garmin makes a small hand held unit called ETREX, check it out! I love mine! It goes with me anytime I'm in the woods.

11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I have a little over 600 finds and about 25 hides. I fracked-up my first skinning attempt and nicked the scent gland! It was a month before anyone would let me on the elevator! Ruint a perfectly good hide, too!

12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Louisiana
    hugh??????

What is this?:confused:

13. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Charleston, WV
    I have always wanted to try it, but I have not yet bought a GPS unit. Also, so far I haven't been able to talk any of my friends into trying it with me, and it just seems like one of those things that wouldn't be as much fun alone.

14. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    East TN
    You're right. The banter and strategy in finding a well stashed cache is the fun.
    oldogy

15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Issaquah WA
    Basically people hide things and put the locations online in like latitude and longitude and you gotta use your GPS to find them. Generally speaking, I believe, you leave something in place of what you find.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, or feel free to add some details :D