George Madore Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by trenchdog1914, Oct 6, 2010.

1. trenchdog1914

trenchdog1914 Member

I have a 1911 .45 made up by George Madore of Brookhaven PA 20 years ago. I understand he passed away some time back. It's an IPSIC type with a compensator, Bomar sights, and Bar-sto barrel, on a Caspian single stack frame. Are his pistols considered valuable? I'm thinking of selling it. At one point I had Biehlert Gunsmithing fit a Colt stainless top end to the frame complete with it's own barrel etc. for carry. What do you think the rig could go for?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

no more value for one of his "custom" jobs than anyone else. without pictures it would be hard to give a ballpark figure as to it's value. a bar-sto barrel and bo-mar sites are good but common, and have been eclipsed by clark , and nighthawk, and heinie. it's also important to know about the internals , do you have a build sheet ? that would also help place a dollar figure on it.
  3. trenchdog1914

trenchdog1914 Member

No build sheet, all that was done verbally and I don't remember the manufacturers.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

ok with the information you've provided i'd place the value on it around 500to 600 bucks. "customized guns do not get the big bucks without all the facts being known ie. a build sheet. these days people would rather buy a ria for 475 and have it built up or build it up themselves and know for a fact what they have. early caspian frame were hit or miss. bar-sto though still good isn't the big dog they once were etc..... slapping a barrel on it and some custom sites doesn't mean it's customized it. might ( the key word here is might) just be a frankenpistol..... it's kind of like putting 22 inch chrome rims on a 95 buick , doesn't increase it's value just makes it look better ???? if you're into those types of things.