Georgian/Caucasus Kindjal daggers

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Jim Hauff, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Finally looked down below the "firearms" threads and saw this dedicated to blades.
    I've got a few of these daggers and thought I'd share them - any comments or thoughts are welcome.
    IMG_3405_2.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Very nice Jim.

If you don't mind, what's their worth?
    Where do you keep/store them?

My firearms go in a safe, but a don't know that I own a blade worth 50 bucks.:eek:
  3. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Beautiful!!!

If you're serious about "sharing them" I'll be glad to send you my address. Heck, I'll even pay the postage.
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

They are indeed beautiful. I'd have to have them out on display. Do you? Or do you keep them put away for preservation.
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Beautiful indeed. If those are gem stones on the hafts and scabbards they must be worth quite a bit.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I have no idea what they're actually worth, I do know that I spent less than 100 bucks on each one. All are silver layered on wood - degree of decoration varies as you can see. No gem stones - "lozenges" are brass and gold plated. I like the amount of work with the little bent wires - these things took a lot of time to make and were mostly for show or as badges of rank, social status, etc. from what I have found out. Note that the design is based on the Roman short sword - the gladius.
    BULLSHOOT - I would gladly share them with you - what's your ACTUAL street address and how much deposit are you willing to put down???? LOL

Here's a couple pics of the fourth dagger - I recently found this one at a gun show - and this one does have "cabuchons" made of some black stone - maybe Jet.

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Attached Files:

7. dustydog

dustydog New Member

'lo Mr. Hauff!
    Was wondering if you could post a picture of both sides and sorta close up on the grip of older knife with the leather covered scabbard.Looks like the grip is iron with gold damacening.Also,if you can find any marks,probably in Aribic script,may be able to date it for you.The style of work look Azubijaini,had a couple over the years,and most I've seen in this country date to the mid-1700's.
    thanks,Lee
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Jim i picked up some in my travels through russia and the caucus's and agree with the Azerbaijani on some however No1 is definately Cossack the lines stopped by the two dots is a cossack traditional and has links to Orthodox mythology ( forget the story ,

value? i sold my cossack blade to a collector for $600 USD in 2004 .. the rest i dunno i picked mine up for less that $50 USD in Tajikistan at a local market type thing along with some old iconography works a couple hundred years old and one i have had ID as Byzantine , no foolin .. i gave that to the Russian orthodox church here in Australia

they said they could not afford such a thing and i asked them can you afford lunch at a good russian restaurant and the deal was done , i paid a pittance for it and lunch saw me break even maybe even in front..

bloody nice collection Jim
  9. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Could well be very right about the blade ,Jack.Mostly curious about the hilt,have seen quite a few kindjal/quamma blades rehilted over the centuries.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i know bugger all about the hilts and handles only the blade marks and only those ones, due to me getting one and having a expert tell me ..
  11. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

You don't by chance , have a picture of the Byzantine Blade, do you, Jack? I'm reading a book on the Byzantine Army.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it was not a blade that was byzintine it was a folding frame with a picture of Jesus ( iconography ) sorry, thats the second time i've not made myself real clear the past couple days
  13. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Ok, , I may have not read it well. Yeah, I went back and read it, you were clear, I just got excited about seeing one of the old blades. I really like the ancient world miltary stuff.My bad( can you say that past 50 years of age?) :D
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no worries eh , i goof a lot still getting used to needing glasses to read and use the PC.. thank the Good Lord i dont need em for shooting (yet)
  15. RJay

RJay Active Member

:D A Icon by any other name, is still an Icon.:D