The Firearms Forum banner

Gerber AXE

7K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  johnlives4christ 
#1 ·
been doing a little research on gerbers line of axes. i have found out that the back pack model with a knife built into the handle is made in taiwan. the model with the saw in the handle is made in china.

i want one of the ones with the knife, but dont know as i like the idea of taiwan made items. china is out of the question

however the axes without accessories built in are made in finland... the land of trees and cheese. thinking about getting one of these.

any yall out there have thoughts or experience

#2 ·
Interesting. I just checked at the Wholesale Hunter website, which is where I got mine at. The one I have - the "sport axe", with a 14" handle -says it has a "Swedish forged steel head". It's made by Fiskar.
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=18172

But then I looked at the Gator Combo, which has a knife stuck up in the handle. http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=36882
It says it has a "forged steel head", but "Swedish" is not mentioned.

Looks like the same axe, though, except for length. Wow.

But anyway, I've been quite happy, and very impressed, with mine.

#5 ·
We were logging a trac of timber a couple of years ago and were finding a lot of arroeheads ,spear points, and drills and such , chipswere just everwhere. One day we bogged the crew truck down going into the woods and while we were hooking a chain to the dozier my dad kicked over what looked like just a small chip that turned out to be a tomahawk head in perfect condition. He handed it over to me to look at and man that was the most wicked looking rock I have ever held.

#6 ·
i have and use a aboriginal stone axe here , while not anywhere near as sharp as others its fully functional and would cleave your arm off with ease and takes down brush real well

just its so bloody heavy!!! dont knock the native stuff , they made great stuff with what they had

#7 ·
alpo, i know the origins of the axes because, at my request, gerber sent me a detailed list of the items they make and where their made at.

#8 ·
been doing a little research on gerbers line of axes. i have found out that the back pack model with a knife built into the handle is made in taiwan. the model with the saw in the handle is made in china.

i want one of the ones with the knife, but dont know as i like the idea of taiwan made items. china is out of the question

however the axes without accessories built in are made in finland... the land of trees and cheese. thinking about getting one of these.

any yall out there have thoughts or experience
I have an actual Fiskars axe and it is by far the best axe I have ever had. It keeps an edge better than any I have ever seen. The handle is too strong. Even if you tried to destroy the handle, you would not be able to.

#9 ·
i've seen the fiskars axes, but they dont make a hatchet do they ? im thinking mostly about a hatchet

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
honestly alpo im thinking i want one of each. im thinking i could keep the little one in the car.

#12 ·
i have two gerber hatchets,one with a long handle and the other a pac ax with a short handle.they are razor sharp from the factory and keep an edge very well.the ax i keep in my truck is from fiskars,it is the same company as gerber.it also has a razor edge and is easily sharpened if and when it gets dull.all the tools i have described have composit handles and are almost industructable.................old semperfi

#14 ·
i remember hearing on one of the forums (probably this one) that the daughter of one of the members carried a hatchet in the car for self defense. i bet the wife could wield that little axe pretty good. right now she keeps a 12" machete by the bed

#15 ·
I was in Sports Authority, yesterday, and they had a Gerber display. I picked up that little axe. When I held it, the head was sitting on top of my fist, and the toe of the haft was at the bottom of my fist. My hand completely enclosed the haft. Seems like a giant step backward. The first hand-axes were just sharp rocks held in the hand. The only strength you could put into a blow was the strength of your arm. Then some unsung genius invented the haft, and now you could put the mechanical advantage of leverage into your swing. With a haft so small that you are basically just holding the axe head is a bad plan.

The absolutely only reason I can see for the existence of that thing is for ultralight backpackers, and they'd be better served with a folding saw.

#16 ·
i haven't held one yet alpo. dont know where i could get ahold of one in town to try. perhaps i'll go with the hatchet version first and after i am sure i want the little one, then perhaps i'll get it later.

thanks for the headsup

#17 ·
The absolutely only reason I can see for the existence of that thing is for ultralight backpackers, and they'd be better served with a folding saw.
As a backpacker, I take neither a saw nor an ax. I'm not even a particularly light packer (I was at 36 lbs. at the start of my recent week-long trip). If I can't break it by hand, it doesn't go in my fire. I take a small Gerber multi plier, but that's the only blade.

#18 ·
josh, if it were me, i would at least take a hunting size knife. if you got stranded out there you sure would be thankful for a good knife

#19 ·
We were logging a trac of timber a couple of years ago and were finding a lot of arroeheads ,spear points, and drills and such , chipswere just everwhere. One day we bogged the crew truck down going into the woods and while we were hooking a chain to the dozier my dad kicked over what looked like just a small chip that turned out to be a tomahawk head in perfect condition. He handed it over to me to look at and man that was the most wicked looking rock I have ever held.

#20 ·
josh, if it were me, i would at least take a hunting size knife. if you got stranded out there you sure would be thankful for a good knife
The knife in the Gerber multi plier is pretty good. It's a 3" partially serrated blade. It's definitely plenty of knife for building emergency shelter if my tent were to be destroyed beyond repair.

Of course, I only pack a tent when the wife and dog are also hiking. When I camp alone, my shelter is a 6'x8' tarp. Bad weather? Fold it over on top of me, too.

#21 ·
i dont like the gerber multi pliers, i had one for a while, and it wouldnt cut chain link or barb wire without damaging the cutters. they cutters, after just one cut got a burr on them and then you couldnt open the pliers with only one hand. but my leatherman tool will handle it.

i loved the pliers other then that though, i also tried fish hooks and got the same results.

#22 ·
i dont like the gerber multi pliers, i had one for a while, and it wouldnt cut chain link or barb wire without damaging the cutters. they cutters, after just one cut got a burr on them and then you couldnt open the pliers with only one hand. but my leatherman tool will handle it.

i loved the pliers other then that though, i also tried fish hooks and got the same results.
I've cut fish hooks numerous times with no adverse effect on the tool. I've never tried fencing, but I don't ever work with fencing. The cutters being only a few millimeters wide, I'd say you were asking too much of the tool, but I definitely understand wanting it to work for your situation.

For me, one handed opening is far more important than cutting hardened wire.

#23 ·
i dont work with fencing or anything like that, but my thinking is, that if i ever needed to cut something liket hat, i would want to be able to handle it. so i tested my tools when i got them. the leatherman will cut both barb wife and chain link.

i also can open it with on hand if i need to although it's cumbersome. but i dont carry a tool with me most of the time unless i am going camping or something

#25 ·
i can open my wave pretty quick, it just aint as quick or as pretty as the gerber. but i use the knife on a tool more then the pliers is why i prefer the wave

i carried it every day for a couple years, and it saved my butt a few times, but normally i have tools with me wherever im at so it's not worth weighing me down now, especially since i pack a gun now and didnt then

#26 ·
i carried it every day for a couple years, and it saved my butt a few times, but normally i have tools with me wherever im at so it's not worth weighing me down now, especially since i pack a gun now and didnt then
My wife sometimes refers to my "Batman belt" because of everything I have on there. Cell phone, measuring tape, keys on retractable line, Gerber, CPR microshield are with me every day. Also my four pockets contain notebook & pen, wallet, Kershaw folding knife, and Kel-tec P3AT.

If I'm not careful at the urinal, my pants fall to my ankles. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.