Gerber AXE

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by johnlives4christ, Oct 18, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

been doing a little research on gerbers line of axes. i have found out that the back pack model with a knife built into the handle is made in taiwan. the model with the saw in the handle is made in china.

i want one of the ones with the knife, but dont know as i like the idea of taiwan made items. china is out of the question

however the axes without accessories built in are made in finland... the land of trees and cheese. thinking about getting one of these.

any yall out there have thoughts or experience
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Interesting. I just checked at the Wholesale Hunter website, which is where I got mine at. The one I have - the "sport axe", with a 14" handle -says it has a "Swedish forged steel head". It's made by Fiskar.
    http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=18172

But then I looked at the Gator Combo, which has a knife stuck up in the handle. http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=36882
    It says it has a "forged steel head", but "Swedish" is not mentioned.

Looks like the same axe, though, except for length. Wow.

But anyway, I've been quite happy, and very impressed, with mine.
  3. jestor

jestor New Member

4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I'm a big axe fan

i have a few but like this one best

Attached Files:

5. jestor

jestor New Member

We were logging a trac of timber a couple of years ago and were finding a lot of arroeheads ,spear points, and drills and such , chipswere just everwhere. One day we bogged the crew truck down going into the woods and while we were hooking a chain to the dozier my dad kicked over what looked like just a small chip that turned out to be a tomahawk head in perfect condition. He handed it over to me to look at and man that was the most wicked looking rock I have ever held.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i have and use a aboriginal stone axe here , while not anywhere near as sharp as others its fully functional and would cleave your arm off with ease and takes down brush real well

just its so bloody heavy!!! dont knock the native stuff , they made great stuff with what they had
  7. johnlives4christ

alpo, i know the origins of the axes because, at my request, gerber sent me a detailed list of the items they make and where their made at.
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I have an actual Fiskars axe and it is by far the best axe I have ever had. It keeps an edge better than any I have ever seen. The handle is too strong. Even if you tried to destroy the handle, you would not be able to.
  9. johnlives4christ

i've seen the fiskars axes, but they dont make a hatchet do they ? im thinking mostly about a hatchet
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. johnlives4christ

honestly alpo im thinking i want one of each. im thinking i could keep the little one in the car.
  12. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have two gerber hatchets,one with a long handle and the other a pac ax with a short handle.they are razor sharp from the factory and keep an edge very well.the ax i keep in my truck is from fiskars,it is the same company as gerber.it also has a razor edge and is easily sharpened if and when it gets dull.all the tools i have described have composit handles and are almost industructable.................old semperfi
  13. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Thats funny. I keep the full size Fiskars in the trunk of my car.
  14. johnlives4christ

i remember hearing on one of the forums (probably this one) that the daughter of one of the members carried a hatchet in the car for self defense. i bet the wife could wield that little axe pretty good. right now she keeps a 12" machete by the bed
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I was in Sports Authority, yesterday, and they had a Gerber display. I picked up that little axe. When I held it, the head was sitting on top of my fist, and the toe of the haft was at the bottom of my fist. My hand completely enclosed the haft. Seems like a giant step backward. The first hand-axes were just sharp rocks held in the hand. The only strength you could put into a blow was the strength of your arm. Then some unsung genius invented the haft, and now you could put the mechanical advantage of leverage into your swing. With a haft so small that you are basically just holding the axe head is a bad plan.

The absolutely only reason I can see for the existence of that thing is for ultralight backpackers, and they'd be better served with a folding saw.
  16. johnlives4christ

i haven't held one yet alpo. dont know where i could get ahold of one in town to try. perhaps i'll go with the hatchet version first and after i am sure i want the little one, then perhaps i'll get it later.

thanks for the headsup
  17. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

As a backpacker, I take neither a saw nor an ax. I'm not even a particularly light packer (I was at 36 lbs. at the start of my recent week-long trip). If I can't break it by hand, it doesn't go in my fire. I take a small Gerber multi plier, but that's the only blade.
  18. johnlives4christ

josh, if it were me, i would at least take a hunting size knife. if you got stranded out there you sure would be thankful for a good knife
  19. bravo619

bravo619 New Member

[​IMG]
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The knife in the Gerber multi plier is pretty good. It's a 3" partially serrated blade. It's definitely plenty of knife for building emergency shelter if my tent were to be destroyed beyond repair.

Of course, I only pack a tent when the wife and dog are also hiking. When I camp alone, my shelter is a 6'x8' tarp. Bad weather? Fold it over on top of me, too.