Gerber AXE

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by johnlives4christ, Oct 18, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i dont like the gerber multi pliers, i had one for a while, and it wouldnt cut chain link or barb wire without damaging the cutters. they cutters, after just one cut got a burr on them and then you couldnt open the pliers with only one hand. but my leatherman tool will handle it.

i loved the pliers other then that though, i also tried fish hooks and got the same results.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've cut fish hooks numerous times with no adverse effect on the tool. I've never tried fencing, but I don't ever work with fencing. The cutters being only a few millimeters wide, I'd say you were asking too much of the tool, but I definitely understand wanting it to work for your situation.

For me, one handed opening is far more important than cutting hardened wire.
  3. johnlives4christ

i dont work with fencing or anything like that, but my thinking is, that if i ever needed to cut something liket hat, i would want to be able to handle it. so i tested my tools when i got them. the leatherman will cut both barb wife and chain link.

i also can open it with on hand if i need to although it's cumbersome. but i dont carry a tool with me most of the time unless i am going camping or something
  4. CampingJosh

Yeah, I can eventually open a Leatherman one handed, but it's takes some time. My Gerber rides on my hip everywhere I go, and it comes into service several times daily.
  5. johnlives4christ

i can open my wave pretty quick, it just aint as quick or as pretty as the gerber. but i use the knife on a tool more then the pliers is why i prefer the wave

i carried it every day for a couple years, and it saved my butt a few times, but normally i have tools with me wherever im at so it's not worth weighing me down now, especially since i pack a gun now and didnt then
  6. CampingJosh

My wife sometimes refers to my "Batman belt" because of everything I have on there. Cell phone, measuring tape, keys on retractable line, Gerber, CPR microshield are with me every day. Also my four pockets contain notebook & pen, wallet, Kershaw folding knife, and Kel-tec P3AT.

If I'm not careful at the urinal, my pants fall to my ankles. :D
  7. johnlives4christ

dang man, i thought i was bad with a wallet, keys, knife, hanky, gun and sometimes NAA
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I carry a flashlight too and atleast 3 extra mags and a P32. My pants are heavy to say the least.

I like the avatar.. More fitting than purple sheets!!
  9. johnlives4christ

thanks boris. i sometimes carry a flashlight too, but i dont have a belt sheath for it, just tuck it in my pocket. my butt is so wide that if i have too much stuff on my belt, i cant fit in my car seat.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What about something like a Bowie knife. It will chop wood, skin your critter, and defend you against almost anything. With this tool you don't need to carry anything else.

Attached Files:

11. johnlives4christ

i have a bowie already.

and a skinner

Attached Files: