German .22 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buford Allen, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

I recently cleaned up a revolver for my uncle. It is a J.P. Sauer and Sohn .22 single action revolver. It appears as though the barrel and cylinder are sleeved. It is on a larger frame than the Heritage revolvers and has no external safety. It has "Made in Western Germany by J.P. Sauer and Sohn" on the left side of the barrel and "L.A. Western Six-Shooter Model, .22 LR Caliber" on the right side of the barrel. It has a 5 1/2" barrel with plastic horn grips. It is in good condition but the grips are cracked. I was curious what this revolver is worth. I cannot find it in any books and my uncle was thinking about selling it but neither of us has any idea about how much to ask for it.
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

Interesting problem; I can find no reference to your revolver, yet I have seen and shot several like it. Like the colt SAA,in style, it has a captive firing pin, in the frame, rather than on the hammer, in the Colt fashion, and may have a 'safety' incorporated into the cyl base pin (push-pull) as well; this info all from memory, not reference.
    Having owned quite a number of arms from J. P. Sauer& Sons, I would tell you that it is above average in engineering, sight unseen, and that it will support, in good or better condition, a price of at least $150.
    Sauer is an 'old line' german arms firm, and builds nothing but quality arms!
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Your single-action .22 was made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Eckernforde, Germany.

This same gun was marketed under a number different names.....mostly as the "Hawes Western Marshal" (imported by Hawes Firearms in Van Nuys, CA). It was made in both rimfire and various centerfire calibers.

Generally speaking, the rimfire version of this single-action revolver is worth in the $100-150 range.