The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

German .25 Auto's Sportwaffenfabrik, Reck, Hawes, Spesco, Falcon, Gecado, Hy Hunter

39K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  revoguy 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all
So for the last few months I Have been researching the little mysterious German 25 auto's.

What I have found
some of the different named 25's have inter-changeable parts
if you can see the proof marks on yours you need to look for a crown with a N stamped above it that means it really was made in Germany.
there is two other proof marks as well one of the is the year stamp mine has a 68 stamped inside what looks like a badge i,e, made in "68"
the other one on mine is a proof mark only used after 1934.

The one i have happens to be a numbers matching
Rhoner Sportwaffenfabrik G.M.B.F.
on the side it reads autom. kal. 6.35 (25 auto) SM 11
the other side reads Made in Germany
you will also find a SM stamped inside the mag well.

a lot of people don't care for these little guns because they are cheap and hard to find parts for. and they are not real reliable,
And they are not worth but $225 top dollar.
but I myself find them fascinating, also if you look under different names you can find some parts for them at www.gunpartscorp.com

also if you have not figured it out yet the break down is really easy
Step 1 clear the gun as with any auto.
Step 2 pull the trigger to release the presser on the firing spring/break down spring.
Step 3 push the release button in as shown in pictures.
Raise rear of slide up away from handle.

if you have any question I'll try to help you out with them.

Have a great day
Drew

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: German .25 Auto's Sportwaffenfabrik, Reck, Hawes, Spesco, Falcon, Gecado, Hy Hunt

Hi Drew,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your posting. I have also found these little pistols interesting and I have repaired several of them.

The pistol you have posted images of looks a little like one sold under the name: "PIC." Are they the same pistol under a different name?

#3 ·
Re: German .25 Auto's Sportwaffenfabrik, Reck, Hawes, Spesco, Falcon, Gecado, Hy Hunt

For most of those guns, I would question that $225 figure. Most won't bring $100 and many gun shops refuse to even sell them since they are junque and parts are not available. Like other cheap guns, there are a few folks who like to collect them, but mostly they have little value.

Most of those were imported in the 1950's and 1960's before GCA 68 effectively banned them. Most were made of cheap zinc castings and even some of the barrels were zinc with thin steel liners. Parts were soft and springs of poor quality. They sold for between $15 and $29, a bit higher than the SNS revolvers made by some of the same companies.

It might be possible to track down the interrelationships among those companies to see who actually did make what, but there is so little interest that I can't see a book or even a magazine article coming out of the research.

Jim

#5 ·
I just bought a .25 cal german pistol at a yard sale for 10 bucks firing pin is broke and has no magazine it looks just like the one in the pics you posted it says L.A Distributors cal.25 made in germany mod.11 and has 3 proof marks all numbers match and sm on grip and sm inside clip chamber where can I get a firing pin and clip for it if anyone knows please leave info for me thanx so much

#8 ·
There was a reason you were able to purchase the gun for 10 dollars, the previous owner could not get parts either. If you have the old firing pin, a machine shop should be able to make a duplicate for a few bucks ( but more than what you paid for the gun.) . Magazine, don't know, the gun was not a big seller so there was no after market items, your gun hasn't been made for over 30 years.. I think you are between a rock and a hard place. In other words you have a unique paper weight. It very unlikely that parts from a another company's gun would fit

#9 ·
Sometimes a firing pin can be repointed by welding, best done with a TIG welder. As for magazines, the best choice is to take the pistol to a gun show and see if someone with a box of old mags will let you try them until you find one that fits and reaches far enough up to engage the slide properly.

#10 ·
Welcome to the Forum! You've gotten spot-on advice so far. Value wise those German .25s are not very valuable, and most are cheaply made and not reliable at all. As far as being practacle for use, the .25 caliber vest or pocket pistols are very weak 'man stoppers' and make more noise than offer anything in the way of being a defense weapon.

Revoguy, if you want to get your pistol operational, a good start would be to have a local machinist make a new firing pin from the dimensions of the old one. It will cost more than the pistol may ever be worth, but at least it will function. I'm certain that most .25 auto pistol mags are really close in dimension, and while it may take a while, you may want to haunt local gun shows with your pistol. One that fits will turn up. Another source might be Gun Parts Inc in West Hurley New York.

I've also seen ads in Shotgun News from gun mag makers in the past. You might buy a copy and send one of them a detailed description of your pistol. Maybe they can help.

Jim K it is good to see a post from you. Your expertise has been missed in the General Discussion area!

#13 ·
There was a reason you were able to purchase the gun for 10 dollars, the previous owner could not get parts either. If you have the old firing pin, a machine shop should be able to make a duplicate for a few bucks ( but more than what you paid for the gun.) . Magazine, don't know, the gun was not a big seller so there was no after market items, your gun hasn't been made for over 30 years.. I think you are between a rock and a hard place. In other words you have a unique paper weight. It very unlikely that parts from a another company's gun would fit
Well the owner told a guy that was looking at it before me that she thought it was a bbgun or pellet gun so they just didnt know wat they had so I got it 10 bucks isn't much but I have a buddy that owns his own machine shop he will do it for nothing and ill find a clip that is close and modify it to fit im good with metal im never going to fire it I just want it complete I colect old things I know its not real old but it old enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.