German Jaeger 1871, M/71, Rare?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by carrerac4, Oct 17, 2011.

1. carrerac4

carrerac4 New Member

2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Is it 6.5 or 11mm? (.25 v. ~.48 cal.). Appears to have French proof marks, which would indicate this 11mm blackpowder German Mauser was rearesenaled to .25 cal. at the St. Denis factory in France. Is it stamped"St. Denis"?
  3. carrerac4

carrerac4 New Member

Thanks for the reply...

I could not locate 'St.Denis' anywhere on the rifle...
    10,95 on the receiver with the (hard to read) words Amberg?? with crown above it...I believe there is a pic on the above link.
    Butt plate reads:
    B
    2.A.F.9

Thanks,
    J
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That rifle is too long to be a Jaeger Rifle, which has a 29 1/2 inch barrel. It is a standard infantry rifle (the "J" is a stylized "I"), made in 1883 at Amberg Arsenal, the Bavarian government arms factory. The caliber is 11mm, also called the 11mm Mauser and 11.15x60R. The Model 1871 was a Mauser design; it was a single shot, but was followed by a later rifle, the Model 71/84 which was not a conversion but a new tubular magazine repeater.

The Model 71 was a rugged and accurate rifle and was subsequently made in large quantities by Mauser, Haenel, Schilling, Spangenberg & Sauer, and by German government arsenals at Spandau, Erfurt, Amberg, and Danzig, and by Steyr in Austria. Some were even made by two companies in England for foreign sales.

The crown/L is for Ludwig II, the so-called "Mad King" of Bavaria, who was on the throne in 1883. (More info can be obtained by Googling Luwig II, Mad King, and Bavaria.)

I think ammunition or at last new cases can be had from some of the custom ammunition suppliers. It is equivalent, in both time and power to the U.S. .45-70, though the cartridges themselves are quite different.

Value? Hard to say, but if original, not cut down, and in top condition, maybe $500, but I admit not keeping up with prices on those, so you might Google the model and see what turns up on the auction sites.

HTH

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

To add a bit to my longer post, B 2.A.F.9/118 means Bavarian Second Foot Artillery Regiment, Ninth Battery, weapon number 118.

Jim
  6. carrerac4

carrerac4 New Member

Thanks Jim...

The barrel is 29 1/2 -30 " (total lenghth of rifle 53")...single shot...with J.G. M/71 .

I thought the J.G. M/71 marking would make it a Jaeger model?

Thanks for the info,
    J
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If the barrel is 29 1/2", it is a Jaeger Model and I stand corrected. But there is some discrepancy, as a length of 53" should mean a barrel of 33 1/2 inches, standard rifle length. A barrel of 29 1/2 inches would give an overall length of 48 1/2".

Jim
  8. carrerac4

carrerac4 New Member

Thanks Jim...

I apologize for my lack of gun knowledge...these items were handed down to me from my grandfather.

You're right..it's 33.5 to the bolt...I was considering the octagon chamber separate from the barrell.

Thanks for all the knowledge!
    Jason