German Lugar Serial Number Question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by npel7205, Sep 27, 2012.

1. npel7205

npel7205 New Member

I am in need of information concering serial numbers. This is about a German Lugar. It was taken off a deceased German soldier in the war.
    HAVE ANY OF THESE SERIAL NUMBERS BEEN RE-USED ON ANY WEAPONS???

I need to know as I had my gun stolen and have been told by a police chief that he has a gun in his possition that has my serial number but he states that the numbers are re-used and can't just return my gun by the serial number only.

Thanks for any help you have, Nancy P.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Unless you recorded the series mark,(a little German script letter) that shows up just below the "serial number", you may be out of luck. To properly identify a Luger you need the manufacturer code from the toggle, the date (if any) from the receiver ring, the series letter and the serial number.
    At least,that's what I seem to remember..........
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Contact a lawyer, and you'll get your gun back. The chief is bluffing, and doesn't want to return your gun.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with Bill.
  5. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

By any chance, does the chief have big brown eyes? :rolleyes:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Luger serial numbers can be confusing. Each maker started each year with number 1, then went to 9999, then to 1a to 9999a, 1b to 9999b and so on. So a full unique identification of a gun needs the maker, the year, the number, and the letter suffix. It would help if you knew the maker and date.

But in reality, it is unlikely that your gun, number 1234 was stolen, and the police have recovered a Luger, serial number 1234, and it is not yours. I suspect the police chief would like to add that gun to his collection or he is a gun hater who wouldn't return any gun to anyone. Write a formal letter and ask that he allow you to see the gun for identification purposes. If he refuses, and it means enough to you, get a lawyer to ask some tough questions. City councils cringe when someone says "lawsuit".

Jim