German Luger - Nickel 1920

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Tizz, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Any info on this one? I don't know much about it. Inherited it. Serial number is 465 and matches all over the gun. I took it apart and cleaned it. Everything is there and it works great. Pics attached:
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's not collectible-strictly a shooter.
    The plating is badly done chrome, not nickel.
  3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Sorry for the huge pictures. Here are some better ones:

Attached Files:

4. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Two more photos:

Attached Files:

5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

So, do you think the Chrome was done after it was made? Did they not make these in Chrome in Germany?
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

This pistol was made by the German Weapons and Ammunition factory (the English translation of "DWM") One of Germany's best firearms and ammo makers. It appears that it was in service with a German state police agency and was XXXxxxed out and remarked before it was refinished. It was almost certainly originally finished Blued.

Manufacturers sometimes Nickle plated some handguns until the present era. I know of no quality quality firearm manufacturer that ever chromed over the Nickle deposit like a cheap automobile part as appears to be the case here; but a lot of industrial shops in the US refinished guns in such a way.

This pistol is #465n. The "n" suffix is part of the unique serial number. The Germans typically used up to four numerals and a letter in their firearm serial numbers for state owned weapons. There are likely about 40,000 guns made before and after this gun, until 1928.

This gun was allowed to rust, then someone (probably in the USA) with access to an electroplating shop has it rather crudely buffed and cheaply electroplated. I can see no proof marks which were apparently buffed out. The last part of the barrel's bore diameter (typically 8.82) has been buffed away leaving only the "8". Part of the "DWM" trademark is buffed away.

Bottom line is that someone devalued an interesting gun by trying to refinish it; but such is often seen.

The above is not likely what you want to learn; but things are as they are.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

"Everytime I come around...bling bling!!" Why do people do this to weapons?
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Even though it is of no value to a collector, there are people out there who would be willing to pay around $500 or so for a shooter such as this. I have sold two or three in worse condition for as much as $700.
  9. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info. I did shoot it and it shoots great, really feels nice in my hand.