German Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by IronB26719, Sep 30, 2006.

1. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

MY grandpa, when he returned home from WW2, brought back a German Luger. I have tried to find information of it but havent been able to find alot.

[​IMG]

On the top of the gun by the barrel 1939 is stamped on and also S/42.

[​IMG]

On the left side of the gun there is 9383 along with several 83s at different locations. Below the barrel 9383 is also stamped along with a symbol that looks like a "n" or "h". On the right side there are several symbols by the barrel, two of which look like an eagle with 63 below it. My grandfather unfortunally got rid of the original grips and replaced it with these.

[​IMG]

On EBAY I purchased replica grips(the black grips that are on the gun now) to replace the above grips. He did bring back the original holster. Its a shoulder holster with a magazine slot, but there is no second magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone can give me a price range of what the gun is worth and maybe some information on it, I would appreciate it.
  2. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

3. lead

lead Active Member

Sorry, it's worthless. Put it in a box, ship it to me and I'll get rid of it for you;)

Seriously, I'd love to own something like that, particularly with the history behind it. Lugers have been climbing in value alot in the last few years, way out of my price range! If you look on the internet auctions, or go to a gun show, you'll see prices starting around $500 and going up from there, way up in some cases.
    More detailed info will be coming as soon as the real experts see this, but, I wanted to ask, are there any markings on the holster? Any stampings inside it? Holsters with any German makers mark or military mark are also bring good money these days.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

As a Luger collector, I can give you some information, considering that the very poor photos don't show any real detail. I can't make out the marking on the top just in front of the S/42, as that will tell us the year of manufacture. However, the pistol seems to have undergone a real "Bubba" reblue with heavily polished and rounded corners, and that has totally removed any possible collector value. So what you have now is a shooter, and these do change hands these days for about $500. If all the numbers match (including the firing pin) and the bore is in excellent condition, it could possibly bring up to $600.
  5. wonderwhippet

I forgot to mention that your shoulder holster looks like one of those that the original GI Luger owners had made for their war trophies. The Germans never issued any shoulder holsters, so the value of yours is perhaps around $40.
  6. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

No I cant find any markings on the holster.

I'm sorry about the photos, will try to post new one. I never reblued it, I don't know what my grandpa did, but as far as I know it has never been reblued.

Also on the top by the S/42, there is 1939 by the barrel and 83 behind the S/42.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  7. wonderwhippet

OK, the 1939 Luger is the most common of the WWII Lugers, but it is only slightly less valuable than other years. Condition is the most important thing when it comes to how much a Luger is worth. I can't be absolutely sure of the reblue until I see some high quality pictures. Use a lot of light such as shooting in sunlight. Get the focus as sharp as possible by using the macro setting on your camera and the lens at full wide angle setting.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

9. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

Here are some better photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. wonderwhippet

I take back what I said about the reblue job. The pistol appears to have its original finish and appears to be in about 95% condition or better. Also, it looks like all the numbers match on the outside. Let me know if the magazine has the same serial number as the gun. I also need to know if the bore is bright and minty or dark and worn. I would like to know if the firing pin matches, but I don't want you to field strip the pistol unless you know what you are doing. For the time being we will assume the firing pin matches, as I expect it does. When you answer my questions I cn give you a fairly accurate idea of what it is worth.
  11. IronB26719

IronB26719 New Member

The magazine serial number is 4291, below it looks like an script "n", and below the mag there is what looks like an eagle with 83 below it. The bore is bright and minty not dark and worn. I know how to field strip the gun but because im afraid, that if i take it apart I wont get it back together.
  12. wonderwhippet

OK, the mag doesn't match, but only about 5% of Lugers have matching mags. Good to hear the bore is in excellent shape. The biggest drawback is the lack of original grips. Proper WWII replacements are hard to find, and a decent pair would probably cost about $150. However, there are very good reproductions available for about $50. O.K., here is what I can tell you about the value: If it had the original grips and a matching magazine it would be worth approximately $1700. With original grips and a non-matching mag the value drops to $1300. Without original grips (or even decent replacements) and a non-matching mag, the value is now $1000. These values assume the firing pin also matches. If you want to look for a pair of grips I'll give you a couple of sources to check. Good luck.