The Firearms Forum banner

german made 98k

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ParrotHead 
#1 ·
hey all.. i have recently fell in love with the Karabiner 98k and was wondering if you fine folks could tell me where would be the best place to look into buying a GERMAN made 98k. ive looked at Mitchells Mausers but was wondering if y'all could tell me some other places to look.. thanks:D

#2 ·
Go with newspapers and gun shows. Most all the best one have been purchased already. Private sells will be the best of the best, plus you can put your hands on the rifle before deciding to buy.

Saw a war trophy Kar98k the other day, stock was cut right behind the receiver so it could be stuffed in a sea bag. And no, he had no intention on selling.

#3 ·
though I don't have one I've heard from several people on other forums to stay away from the Mitchell's. Search them out before you buy.
Gun shows are your best bet for a somewhat decent price. ********* has them but be prepared to pay extra.
Germans K98's are a little harder to find than the rest.

#4 ·
Well, 21, you never know where you'll find one. I got an S/147 (Sauer & Sohn) in near excellent condition about 22 years ago for $100. The only draw back was a mis-matched bolt. Everything was matching s/ns, except the bolt. My uncle told me that when the "Krauts" came in to surrender at the end of the War, the rifles were stacked and the bolts were thrown into a pile. That's why there are so many out there with mis-matches. I had a smith check mine for head space and it was good. I have shot it many times, and while it is a fine weapon, it hurts my shoulder. That butt plate against my broken and ill set collar bone doesn't make for comfortable shooting. Accurate, though. TJ

#5 ·
thanks all. :D i appreciate the info.

i had read the "stay away from mitchells" as well.

a friend of mine was telling me that there is an ad in every American Rifleman magazine advertising the sell of them. ill have to check that out as well..

you wouldnt be interested in sellin yours would you TJ??:p;)

#7 ·
thanks TRAP :D

G
#9 · (Edited)
I can tell you I have a WW2 German made K98, re barreled after the war by the Israelis to 7.62 x 51 and it is without doubt the most accurate rifle I ever owned in 35 years of shooting.

If I do my bit, it will outshoot many a scoped modern rifle, and cost a fraction of what they cost. I thought about scopeing it, but never got round to it. If I did it would be a low mag long eye relief forward scope, on the rear sights mount.

#11 · (Edited)
thanks all. :D i appreciate the info.

i had read the "stay away from mitchells" as well.

a friend of mine was telling me that there is an ad in every American Rifleman magazine advertising the sell of them. ill have to check that out as well..

you wouldnt be interested in sellin yours would you TJ??:p;)
Sorry, Bravo, she's a keeper:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: Besides, it's the last real man stopper I have :(:( TJ

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.