German P-38 unfired

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 3rdmardiv, Oct 27, 2009.

1. 3rdmardiv

3rdmardiv New Member

Hello,

I have recently acquired a German P-38, ac 1944. This pistol was captured in Lintz, Austria by a US vet and shipped home. It came with a 1944 marked holster and has never been fired. When I received it the pistol and 2 magazines were filled with cosmoline. It is in mint condition with brown bakelite grips with a mirror bore. Could I get an idea of its value?

Thanks.
  2. armabill

armabill Member

3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Can i see a picture please
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

if it is "captured" then it is not unfired, captured means it was in the hands of the opposing enemy and you took it away, any military gun has been fired. perhaps it was cleaned well and then put into cosmoline for long term storage.
  5. 3rdmardiv

3rdmardiv New Member

Usually that is what captured is, however this pistol was confiscated from a house in Lintz, Austria. Sgt. Laddie J. Fedor attached to Patton's 3RD Army was in Lintz at the town's surrender. Orders were for the town to turn in all firearms. According to the vet it has been in his gun rack for the past 60 years, talked about, but never used. Fortunately it was not kept in its holster (also dated 1944) the chemicals of which would have damaged it. It took me hours to remove the cosmoline from both the pistol and two magazines. Unless this was test fired at the factory, I don't believe it has been fired since. I will try to post photos as requested.
  6. 3rdmardiv

3rdmardiv New Member

As requested. Rainy day here, was not able to use sunlight

Attached Files:

7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your P38 is not one of the rare ones, as it is one of the most common types available. However, even common examples in mint condition bring premium prices. Yours should sell for at least $800 to $1000, and if the holster is in the same condition you can add around $250 to the value. Since it appears the vet is still living, you should get a detailed statement from him containing all the details of how he acquired the pistol, including dates, period of service, his outfit and their combat history, wartime photos, etc. If possible the statement should be notarized. All this will increase the value.