1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

German sausage recipe needed.

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by tim peterson, Dec 12, 2008.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

howdy. im looking for a good german sausage recipe. i have deer meat that i want to use for sausage. and our old recipe is no good ! the dog wont eat it. thanx for your time!
  2. Here is a good basic recipe, Tim. I don't see why you couldn't substitute the deer meat for the port, or even mix the two.

Ingredients
    2 1/2 lbs boneless pork butt, Boston butt
    2 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon savory
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon allspice

Directions
    1. Cut the meat (and fat, if necessary) into chunks. Spread out on a pie pan or cookie sheet and place in the freezer to chill (not long enough to freeze, just long enough to become firm).
    2. Grind the meat and fat together twice, using a coarse blade.
    3. Add the spices to the meat and fat mixture and knead it in thoroughly.
    4. Cover and refrigerate at least a couple of hours or overnight.
    5. The sausage can be stuffed into prepared casings or formed into patties or appropriate bulk portions and refrigerated for up to 3 days before use after which any remaining should be frozen.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks, Rich. I couldn't find anything appropriate.

Crpdeth
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Just don't mention the war!
  5. Come to think of it, the Germans did eat a lot of wurst during both the World Wars, Tranter. Maybe that's what explains why they build such good tanks . . .:D;):p