The Firearms Forum banner

german sniper rifle? k98 zf 41 ?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  45Auto 
#1 ·
watched enemy at the gates the other day again.

I already have a mosin sniper.. but started looking at the germans gun.

looking around.. I saw some pics at MM's that what he was using?

anyone got one?

like it?

like it better than a mosin?

worth having in a sniper collection ( if I could find one? )

standard 8mm mauser correct?.

thanks

#4 ·
Outside of a hard core collector(rich$$$).I've never seen an AUTHENTIC Moisin sniper rifle with all original scope,mounts,etc....and I've only seen 1 REAL Mauser with all original factory equipment.My BIL had a German collection valued at 250k until a REAL EXPERT came along-value dropped to 175k...It's incredible the work that will go into making a Mauser look authentic with proper scope and mount...hoping a real expert doesn't examine it before sale....German soldiers DID NOT want to be captured with a sniper setup so most were destroyed before surrendering.

#5 ·
I have a Czech BRNO VZ22 and a Yugo model 1924 Mauser that were sporterized prior to me purchasing them. I also have a 1934 Tula hex receiver mosin. While they're all great guns, I prefer mausers. Mauser actions are smoother, the safety is easier to manipulate and most important, the bores are all uniform.

#6 ·
I have a SSG 98 K". Cal. 308 German with a Kahles-Wien / ZF 58/ 4X31 with dioptre ajustment and reticule that is very hard to find.
One sold in 2011 at auction for $3100.00 in Germany. (Internationales Auktionshaus fur Anitiken, Alte Waffe).
If you find a rifle let me know..I have some hard to find German scopes I might sell.

#8 ·
A veteran once told me that he and his men hated snipers and their rifles. When they captured a sniper rifle they used a pickaxe to brake the lenses.

Less angery GI's captured them and brought them home. They are not easy to find and go for a premium price. Generally, the Germans and Russians set aside regular production rifles which tended to shoot better. These service rifles had scopes assembled to them. Because sniper rifles were assembled at various times the configuration will vary as well. From what I understand, some snipers used commercial sporting rifles chambered for the 8mm service cartridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.