Get a Grip and Don’t Lose Your Thumb!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by montezumaz, Sep 22, 2012.

1. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

How to Correctly Grip Your Revolver
    http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blo...ampaign=20120922-Chronicle-Vol1Iss10 Campaign

"S&W 460XVR blew my thumb off today! No joke, about 1/2 of my left thumb is gone … what’s left is a friggin mess." :eek:

To properly grip a revolver and avoid an injury, take the grip in your dominant hand and place the top of the backstrap directly into the web of your hand. This will place your hand high up on the grip. This helps manage recoil. Then cup your support hand over your dominant hand. Point your dominant thumb down under the cylinder release and cross your support thumb over your dominant thumb. Both should be pointing down and nowhere near the cylinder gap. This grip is the “thumb over thumb” grip. Julie Golob in her book, Shoot describes it as, “The thumb of the support hand hooks over the thumb of the strong hand.”