Get a GRIP! (on the bullet.... that is).

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Indy Bob, Jun 6, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

imho.. accuracy should not change throughout the range of the calipers measurement. it should be just as accurate at just under 250 thousandths as it is a 3" or it's useless.

you may want a better caliper if yours is inaccurate at smaller dimensions.

as for user error reading the caliper or using it to measure with.. that's not a caliper issue, IMHO.. it's a user issue.

soundguy
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Actually steve4102 does have a good point. You can measure fairly repeatably with calipers, but for measuring in the fourth decimal place an i.d. micrometer is required. You would be surprised at the difference.

For most of what we do a set of calipers is sufficient.
  3. soundguy

i rebuild antique tractor engines.. have a decent measuring tool set including many precision micrometers, both id and OD.

i cheat and use my tools both for engines and guns. :)

and yes.. i agree.. anything past 3 decimals on a caliper is not trustworthy.
  4. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

I hate when that happens!!:rolleyes: :)

I had a reply all set to go ...... Now I cannot find it. It was about 4 hours ago. Oh Well.
    Summarizing ............ I did a lot of sorting of brass. In checking necks of all my empty brass with a bullet..... Only 25 out of about 130 cases had an easier "slip in about 1/8" fit".
    The rest were all what "should be".
    All cases were trimmed, deburred, and ready to go for powder and bullets.

I am starting from scratch and am going to do the Load Development Ladder Test by JLA as posted at the start of this forum.

I can't get out till next week but I will post some results.
    Again ...... I read and studies ALL the replies and THANK YOU!!
    Bob

Attached Files:

5. soundguy

looking good!
  6. Indy Bob

Indy Bob New Member

Steve,
    I went back over your reply here and I understand more about that Lee Collet die that I am using. YES .... I do believe that will be all I need.

A detailed reply was somehow lost but I did a complete sorting of all my brass. I now believe that those 25 "loose bullet fit" for some reason.......are my oldest brass. You see ..... I have not been shooting or reloading since about 1989. I had lost track of loadings on the brass I had. BTW... I have purchased new brass and I am starting "number of loadings" records again. The tighter neck tension on theremainder of my older brass from 1989 is real close to brand new brass.
    I think I am on the right track and when I can get out next, I have a Ladder test target with matching details of powder grains ...... and.....some OAL variances recorded.
    Wish me luck!!
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Good Luck!