1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

GETTIN SOME COSMETIC SURGERY

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by southernshooter, Dec 21, 2006.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I decided after work today I wanted to refins my Long Branch Enfield
    Also while I had the gun apart I modified the mounts to accept my compact 3-9x42
    The first picture is of it originally
    The following 2 are from after the sanding
    I will post the after photos when I finish staining it

Attached Files:

2. That wood looks like walnut, Southern. If so, it will refinish very nicely indeed. After you stain it, try a few coats of Tru Oil to seal and impart some shine to it, assuming you like a bit of "shine." Most Southerners do! Oops! Wrong kind of "shine." Seriously, Tru Oil is a great product, very sturdy and it may be used either sparingly (for just a hint of shine) or lavishly for a really pretty wood finish. :D ;) :p
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

My follow usually consist of Varathane
    It is some heavy duty stuff I use it a lot on boat and it with stands the U.V. light and salt water and Mississippi famous climates you should try it some time
    BTW Yes I do like BOTH kinds of shine
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, PS, I swear by Tru-oil too...and you can leave it shiny, which I have done on a couple of shotguns and rimfires, or buff it with OOOO wool to make it "satiny," which is how I do most of my militaries...I like it better than linseed oil because it dries so much faster you can put on extra coats faster...although I know a couple of guys who swear by linseed for redoing any military stocks...
  5. I agree, a linseed oil finish can look really nice when it's completed, Polish. The only problem with the stuff is that it takes so damn long to dry and it tends to scratch very easily. Of course, Tru Oil is basically linseed oil with some other chemicals added, and as you note, it drys MUCH faster. A linseed finish does look more authentic for military rifles though.