Getting an 01 FFL license...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Count, Jul 9, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

recently got my C&R license. no problems here. how difficult (or impossible) is it to get a 01 FFL if i want to start buying and selling out of my house? the C&R does not permit you to engage in any kind of business.

PS i live in NC if it makes any difference.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I went thru the process here in Florida. I would imagine the process is the same but local laws may be different. I have a shop on the front of my house. I own 5 acres and am pretty much in the country. You just need to contact the div of firearms and get the application sent to you and fill it out and send it in with a check for 250.00 I think it was and then wait for them to contact you. They will send an agent out to interview you and look over your location. They like to see a safe and an alarm system and they want to make sure you are not just trying to get a licence to buy your guns cheaper. They want to know your hours of operation also.

They will ask you what you are going to name the business, and who you plan on purchasing from and get an idea if you even have a clue. They asked me how many guns I planned on selling per year. They dont want to hear the most common response which is "as many as possible". I said 2-3 hundred and more if possible. The girl was real nice and the whole process was like 2 hours or less. Three weeks later I got my licence in the mail. I will say that it is not a money maker business. I sell for 7-10% over my cost and people still ask for me to make them a deal. Heck, it takes 3-4 guns to make a hundred bucks. Good luck to ya if its what you want to do.

PS. Dont fall for the people trying to sell you help thru the process. You dont need their help.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. The Count

The Count New Member

thanks DoubleD! you confirmed my suspicion that its probably WAY more trouble than its worth. its not only the ATF cost, figure in the expenses for a city license, all that extra tax paper work involved plus other fees and incidentals and its a major head ache.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

+1 on that. Its not that hard and thats why the ATF comes to you anyway, to clear up any issues. Those kits are a freak'n joke. Also to note, they say they requre some sort of security for the guns ie safe but a locking closet works too. Also if you within 500 yds of school property then you have to have more security. When they came to my house she to was a super cool gal. She asked what kind of security that I had. I had a safe and a alarm system on the shop. I don't know if that really matters or not b/c she never looked to verify. I believe you have to sell at least 3 guns per year(?). Not sure on that. I have my 01 tagged as a gunsmith so thats not required of me. (If you apply as a smith you have to prove that you do have a working shop, not just a dremel and a set of crappy screwdrivers and living in a 1 bedroom apt. then they may tag that as suspicious)
    Besides that, its more waiting than anything else.
  5. The Count

The Count New Member

did you have to get any city/county licenses and/or tax id to show to the agent or on the application?
  6. Double D

In my county all I had to do is go to the zoning office and get a special permit granted for my house. I had to be the property owner or have permission from the owner if I wasnt. That permit did not cost me anything. The ATF stopped in and checked with zoning to make sure there were no issues.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Just a business name or fictitious name. You can go LLC (which most do) or do a fictitious name through the state. You need a business name for a FFL. You will also need to collect sales tax if you want to receive your goods tax exempt.
    Your need to send a copy of your application to your local law enforcement chief. They will look into it. If there is a problem they will contact the ATF. If no problems, then no contact.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is a lot harder now than it was a few years ago when I had my 01 license. When I got mine in something like 1989, you didn't have to prove a thing and it only cost something like $30. I didn't have a shop, got no visits form the ATF, nothing. I lived in military housing in Rhode Island so I had to get the RI tax stuff, but that is all. Things sure have changed!!
  9. Double D

You do have to send a copy of your application to the local sheriff. Also, I registered as a sole propieter and have to pay quarterly taxes but no yearly fees like a corp or llc.
  10. tpzkb0

tpzkb0 New Member

hey all just would like to find out if i could get my ffl in mo if i live in an apartment?
  11. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I would highly doubt it
  12. Double D

You will have to check your zoning laws and if it was allowed, the apartment building owner would have to sign something. I doubt your zoning will allow it and possibly the ATF wont either.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

That's the way my second cousin did it back then too. He's dead now, but had a FFL I think so he could get guns cheap.
  14. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

I have thought about getting a C&R FFL for a few years. I also would like to manufacture ammo. Do I need both a classs 3 and class 6 FFL? Is one contained with the other?