Getting back after a long time, need advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by White Hawk, Apr 14, 2006.

1. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Hey all,

I used to shoot & carry years ago, and I'm interested in getting back into the game. My last gun was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power tournament model, I sold it to my dad 10 years ago (he talked me into it) and he refuses to part with it.

I'm wanting to get a .45 this time, and I've been looking around. Since I have single-action experience, I thought of getting a 1911. But I've also looked at double-actions, and the guys at my local gun store really like the Sig P220.

What I'm wanting to do is hit the range again and see if I can still shoot straight, and also have a "nightstand gun". I've thought of getting a carry permit, but I don't do much except drive back and forth to work. And since I have a fast car and several years of racing experience, I can out-drive pretty much any threat.

I'm of average build, just a hair under 6'0", regular size hands, etc. What do y'all recommend?
  2. Before you give up on the CCW idea, White, you may want to consider the fact that only a small percentage of "unpleasant enounters" occur while in a vehicle. More often, you are likely to be acousted in a parking lot or some similar area. A CCW is simply good insurance against the unexpected.

As for recommendations, that is, of course, a highly personal choice. The basic answer is, carry what feels "right" and comfortable to you and that you can handle well. A .45 is an excellent choice in terms of caliber and stopping power, but personally, I do not like a 1911 for carry purposes because of its weight and bulk, not to mention the fact that it must be carried "cocked and locked." Many people do like them, however, and if you are one of those, go for it. One good compromise on the .45 is the newer .45s made by Taurus, the PT-145 and the PT-745, both of which are compact DAO autos. I have a PT-745 and like it very much. You mention the Sig P220, and you certainly could not go wrong there. In my opinion, Sigs are about as quality a weapon as you are likely to find anywhere. Another possible choice--and around here you will get differing views on this--is the excellent line of Glock pistols. I have two of these, a G33 "Mini Glock" in .357 Sig caliber, and a compact size G30 in .45 ACP. Personally, I love the Glocks for their ease of use as carry weapons and their reliability.

By the way, welcome to TFF! :D I think you will like it here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2006
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Pistol listed a whole pile of reliable iron. All of those could do you well. You're going to probably want to go get hands on a lot of them to see which ones feel right. If it's reliable, has the features you desire (caliber, capacity etc), and feels natural/points easy in your hand, you will usually enjoy shooting it and train well with it.

Just heads up. You may notice the 1911's have gotten pretty damn expensive.
  4. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Thanks for the welcome, and the responses! An associate on a political forum I frequent suggested this forum, so I figured I could get good advice here.

I'll consider the CCW, as you're right about the parking lots.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Like Pistolenschutze said, get what feels right for you. Consider also, what else you want on your firearm. Do you want a external safety, only an internal safety, trigger safety, grip safety? Where do you want the mag release? What kind of sights, trigger pull, ammo capacity? Do you want to be able to mount a flashlight, laser, scope? Does it have a natural point of aim “for YOU” The "cant" on the Glock grips are not right for everyone. Lots of things to consider when looking for a good carry gun. If the SIG 220 fit’s the bill, you won’t go wrong getting one of those. I LOVE mine, but then I also LOVE my H&K.

Here is another WELCOME to the forums.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

White Hawk, welcome to our fold!
    If you have an urge for the 1911 pattern pistol, there are many of us to urge you on, on this list. It is a proven performer. Some of the clones offer even more utility, than Colt- Para Ordinance is one name that comes to mind.
    Pistol hit the nail on the head, I feel, with the observation that we don't live in just one place, and neither do the 'bad actors'
    I've carried the Hi-Power on four continents, as a work gun, and like the pistol, a lot; that does not say in any way, that it is the best, but it is adequate to most situations, given a skilled operator.
    It's big, heavy, and reliable as the sunrise.
    I no longer work for the government, and try real hard to look ahead, so as not to piss other people off; the result is, a lesser need for firepower accompanied by a continuing desire for adequate energy and accuracy.
    Were I you, I would take a close look at both the 'compact' models of the 1911 pattern pistol, and the 'ultra lightweight' S&W , and similar, 'J' frame models, now being offered.
    I own a M-337PD "Airlight Ti" Smith, in .38 Spl, which weighs less, by far, than the trigger lock that came with it! Power is on a par with the 9mm P, accurate enough, reliable enough, and so light and tiny you will never take it out of your pocket! At least, my experience.
    The magic seems to be practice, with whatever arm you choose, until the sights become an accessory of optional use.
    hope this helps,
  7. popo22

popo22 New Member

White Hawk, since you are already familiar with the "Hi-Power", I would think you would want to go back to something similar (assuming you liked it). As stated, lots of good 1911's and other platforms out there today. I tend to favor the 1911's and am biased toward them.

That said, as stated earlier, if you like the Sig., I believe its about as good of a production pistol as is on the market. If you choose the 1911 route, and are concerned about the "cocked & locked" issue, I'd consider the Para LDA's in a commander size. I have a Para LTC (although not an LDA) which I like very much, accurate, reliable, great ergonomics, etc. I also have a Para 16.40 LDA which has had approx. 15,000K rounds through it without a single problem (a little thicker through the grip, but very managable). You are probably looking at about the same money for the Sig's and Para's. The Taurus will most likely be considerably cheaper, but generally a reliable weapon.

I also have a Springfield Armory, Champion which has been a fine weapon, although I would choose the Para, LTC for NIB quality, IMHO. The Para LDA's have the bobbed hammers and external safeties, along with choice of single or double stacked capacity, and a really nice trigger. I like the commander size (4-4 &1/4" barrel's) for carry, and I am a little smaller than you, 5'9". My .02 worth.
    Good Luck
  8. can't hit nothin

can't hit nothin New Member

Whatever you decide to get, practice with it. Try to develop an unconscious compitence level with your weapon. Remember 1/4 seconds count when bullets are flying. If it's been that many years, take a look back at the fundamentals, and practice with what you are going to settle on. Also keep in mind that real gun fights don't happen standing still. As you advance with your practice, start moving to cover positions. It may be the fast car they want, if so, let them have it if you have to. There is only one "you" on the planet and 14,000 cars for every person.
    Can't Hit Nothin !
  9. Ursus

Ursus New Member

For a double action the Sig P-220 is as good as anything you can get. If you like the 1911 format, but also prefer a DA take a look at Para Ordnandce's LDA (Light Double Action) series.
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Everyone has good suggestions on guns. I just wanted to jump in and say nothing can out drive a bullet.