getting gun permit in MA while going to school in PA

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by as81285, Aug 8, 2010.

1. as81285

as81285 New Member

hey whats going on everyone, im trying to get some advice on the situation im in.. I am a MA resident but i go to school down in philadelphia.. this past year ive had a few event take place that has pushed me to want a gun for self defense. The easiest way would definately change residency since PA gun laws are a lot better then MA, however, if i change residency my car insurance is going to sky rocket.. so my question is: is it legal to go to MA apply for FID and Class A permit and then afterwards apply for non resident LTC in PA? havent really gotten a straight answer from police and mixed answers from others...
  2. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Welcome aboard, as81285.
    I've found this site useful when I wanted to know something:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    You should be able to find your answer there.
  3. belercous

belercous Former Guest

as81285; I'm a resident of Illinois. I have a valid C.C. permit issued from Pa. Good in 26 states. I have never been to Pa. Cost me $26.00, good for 5 years. There are some stipulations, and you might want to get a Pa. address to simplify things. Centre County, Pa. did me some justice. Check it out.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

When I got my PA permit I sent in a copy of my NH resident permit. Your idea of getting a Mass permit and then a PA permit should serve you well. The only hang up I can see is bringing your firearm on a campus so I would be careful how you answer your questions. Don't lie as that is perjury.

belercous:
    Just a point of info for you. There are 4 states (CO, FL, MI, NH) covered by reciprocity from the PA permit that accept out of state permits only if you are a resident of that state . Not sure if you are unaware or forgot but it could get uncomfortable for you if you travel to one of those states and get caught carrying.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. belercous

belercous Former Guest

Terry; Thanks, I did not know that. I'll have to look into it, I just looked at the reciprocity of other state to PA. I did not read the fine print.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member